Caring for your loved ones

calonuk
calonuk Posts: 78
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Ok so i finally picked up my new bike last friday.
I have never had to maintain a bike before so i am just wondering when you should do things to the bike i.e. oiling chainsand other parts, what do i do when it pours down and me and bike get soaked.
Do you service your own bikes or go to shops? I have been told about a deal at halfords which is £20 for a years worth of servicing and repairs just pay for parts.

Any advice would be great as it is suppose to piss down tomorrow so me and the bike will be getting very wet. :lol:

exercise.png

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    A clean every now and then helps.... If it is a wet time, I usually give a squirt of GT85 on the chain to dry it. Some lube once a week should be fine, and attend to anything that is appararent - sqeaks, knocks, clicks, groans. Make sure brakes and gears are smooth, and you can stop as quick as is necessary.

Great fun doing most yourself.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Park tools for maintenance/servicing advice. Learn how to service your bike yourself and you will save big bucks.
    Just about all the bike tools you'll need.
    Dry weather lube
    Wet weather lube
    Use on the frame after cleaning so dirt doesn't stick and on parts that don't get lubed

Personally, I wouldn't let the Halfrauds staff anywhere near my bikes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I pump my tyres once every quarter, lube my chain twice a year, tension the chain every quarter and adjust the gears every month (takes 2 minutes and no tools). But then again I ride a Pashley with full chainguard and hubgears and drum brakes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ndru wrote:
    I pump my tyres once every quarter, lube my chain twice a year, tension the chain every quarter and adjust the gears every month (takes 2 minutes and no tools). But then again I ride a Pashley with full chainguard and hubgears and drum brakes.

Blimey! Get the chain changed to belt drive and you wouldn't have to anything. Ever!

Almost
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ndru wrote:

Blimey! Get the chain changed to belt drive and you wouldn't have to anything. Ever!

Almost

I am not an engineer but it would seem that belt drives put as much stress on the bearings as an over-tightened chain so... I might want to wait for belts to be well tested before I think about it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    'Caring for your loved ones'

I was sure this was going to be a helmet thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Or a thread about saddle comfort.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Or a thread about saddle comfort.

I was all ready to respond "chamois cream." So I'm going to say it anyway.
    Misguided Idealist
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I do general maintenance myself. It's worth searching through youtube to get hints and tips on basic maintenance, the Parktool site is also very good.

I personally would not take my bike to Halfords for a service. Better off taking it to a bike specific shop. Tredz Cardiff have a good mechanic, Cyclopaedia and Damien Harris are also decent from my experience.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • loveaduck
    loveaduck Posts: 48
    Newbie here, regarding the Halfords scheme. I gave up when i found it nigh on impossible to get my bike serviced as the store had one person who actually did the servicing but loads of counter staff who were not capable. They were asking for a months notice :twisted:, Took it too lbs instead, even got a free gift and instant service.

I learnt that local bike shops aren't scary :D. They also taught me how to help myself regarding cycle care.

Big love to em.
    "I love you less than cake, but way more than Marmite!"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Park tools for maintenance/servicing advice. Learn how to service your bike yourself and you will save big bucks.
    Dry weather lube
    Wet weather lube
    Use on the frame after cleaning so dirt doesn't stick and on parts that don't get lubed

You forgot

To build up strength so you can actually get the parts off the bike
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    suzyb wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Dry weather lube
    Wet weather lube

You forgot

To build up strength so you can actually get the parts off the bike

and the part at how shocking that spanner is for bb cups :lol: