Oxford Chaingang

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
Can anyone tell me of a decent chaingang ride in the Oxford area?

Obviously the closer to Oxford the better really.

Cheers
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Riders from OUCC and people from the town clubs do one on Tuesday nights, leaving at 6 from the corner of Banbury Road and Marston Ferry Road, going out into Ott Moor. Never been on one myself, but apparently there are 2 groups, and the ride is ~25 miles.
  • rozzer32
    pbt150

Cheers I went on this one tonight. Good group of people. Around 15-20 tonight. Started off in the slow group and jumped into the fast group when they caught us.

Will be riding this again next week :)
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Could I ask how fast the two different groups go? I get the OUCC mailing list emails but I've not been on a ride because I'm worried about the pace.
  • rozzer32
    Slow group was riding about 20-22 mph. In the fast group it was up to like 25 mph.

Not really looked at my Garmin from last night but think I did 25 miles in just over an hour.

You should come along, just start off in the slow group and see how you get on. And if you get spat out the back then so be it, it's what chain gangs are all about. The week after you try and stay on a bit longer. Over time you will be comfortable riding in the fast group.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Blimey, that doesn't sell itself to me. 20-22mph and if you get droped you can always come back next week!

I can see why I do normal club rides where no one gets dropped and the average varies from 14mph for the slows up to 18 for the "fasts". Although in defence it is a bit lumpy around here.

Can I assume that "chain gangs" are specifically keep up or drop off?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Blimey, that doesn't sell itself to me. 20-22mph and if you get droped you can always come back next week!

I can see why I do normal club rides where no one gets dropped and the average varies from 14mph for the slows up to 18 for the "fasts". Although in defence it is a bit lumpy around here.

Can I assume that "chain gangs" are specifically keep up or drop off?

Yeah, Chaingangs are not social rides, they are training rides.
  • rozzer32
    Yup chaingangs are training rides, if you go out the back, have a puncture etc then no one will wait for you.

So don't turn up expecting to have a nice little chat about how your weekend was :wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    That's fair enough, horses for courses and all that. To be honest, I do most of my training on my own on early morning Saturdays and treat the club rides on Sunday as more of a recovery/social ride. May be a mid-week chaingang would be a nice inspiring way of getting some more grunt into my programme.
  • rozzer32
    It would certainly help with your fitness.

It really improves your bike handling skills and riding in a group as well.

Certainly can get a bit hairy when your coming down a hill at 35-40 mph
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone know when they meet on sundays? I'm in Oxford for a couple of weeks - did the chaingang on tuesday but forgot to ask about the weekend.