HELP - carbon fork expander snapped off inside steerer...!!!

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Decided today (and wish I hadn't) to fit the 'Specific' Secialized carbon fork expander into my futureshock forks, now remember this is the one that COMES WITH the fork,

Now, I loosened it off, inserted into the steerer, and in it went, although the top part of it (let's call it 'the wedge' was sitting 2-3mm outside the steerer.

Now Spesh say that when you tighten it, it pulls itself into the steerer.

So I started to tighten....

BANG, the bolt head snaps off.

WHAT THE FECK!!!????

What can I do as I cann't get the bugger out?

Specialized are gonna have to sort this..... I did everything by the book, and yet this has happened...

I'm a pretty competent mechanic, so this wasn't user error.

Or shall I loose 20mm off the steerer (which I wanted to do anyway) and get LBS to cut through the lot and remove the expander...

To say I am majorly pissed off is an understatement....

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you were going to cut it, just cut it. Save giving yourself ulcers and a possible stroke.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    can you find a pic of this expander.

I think the solution will involve a hammer BUT lets see how it is put together first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    can you find a pic of this expander.

I think the solution will involve a hammer BUT lets see how it is put together first.

Hi Nick,

Here is the link to the installation guide.
    http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf ... ide_r2.pdf

There is a larger screw that actually expands the unit inside the fork, this was the one that snapped, however, I have another (from a separate expander) that fits, now I have removed the old bolt that snapped off, so inside the fork is just the base unit and the 'gnarled' expander....
  • nicklouse
    tap the lower wedge into the fork this should release the pressure on the expanding sleeve.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Looks similar to Hope head doctor. As Nick said a light knock on the broken bolt and it will push the wedge out of the expanding sleeve.
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    tap the lower wedge into the fork this should release the pressure on the expanding sleeve.

The expanding sleeve is flimsy, like a sheet of gnarled metal.

It's sitting flush with the top of the steerer tube. I think that I can get at it with some needle nose pliers and pull it out.

Also I sprayed some GT85 in there to loosen (hopefully) things up a bit.

Heres a pic:
    img00041201104121315.jpg

img00042201104121315.jpg

OR, could I go to hardware store, get another bolt (but a lot longer) thred it all the way in and pull the expander out with some molegrips etc as remember it doesn't have the wedge in the top....
  • nicklouse
    NO tap the bottom wedge into the fork. then pull things out.
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    NO tap the bottom wedge into the fork. then pull things out.

I will obviously need some kind of drift then... hmmmmm

Also, if I tap it down, will it seperate from the expander itself, ir I pull that out, then turn the forks upside down and the metal wedge comes out.....

Don't want no bits stuck in the bottom of the steere, would rather drill the feckr out :lol:

No damage has been done thank God, but that's not to say I don't want to be going to town with a hammer, near any carbon.....
  • The Big Cheese
    Why it didn't work in the first place is beyond me.. do they make bolts of cheese or something??? :twisted:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Had a similar prob a while back and used a chopstick (as in Chinese food) up the steerer (from the wheel side) to tap out the offending wedge.
  • The Big Cheese
    .blitz wrote:
    Had a similar prob a while back and used a chopstick (as in Chinese food) up the steerer (from the wheel side) to tap out the offending wedge.

The problem is blitz, that the steerer has no opening wheel-end.

Other wise that would have worked a treat.

Given that the expanders come with such expensive forks, I would have thought that they would a) be constructed better and b) have a contingency for removing them.

Looks like I need to find some wooden dowling rod as a drift, place inside steerer and tap it down to take the pressure off (as nick said) as that's the only solution I can think of...... now to find some fecking dowling rod.... :cry:

If it was a steelor allu steerer, I wouldnt be so worried.
  • The Big Cheese
    Big thanks to Nicklouse for steering me (Geddit) on the right course.

Used a chain breaker handle as a drift, one firm tap with the mallet and the bottom wedge dropped into the steerer.

I pulled the 'cheese grater' out then the wedge fell out.

So have now re-installed my trusty KCNC one again (what an exercise in futility fitting the spesh one was - I RECOMMEND AGAINST THEM AS THEY ARE CACK!)

Thanks again nick ;)