Coalition how long will it last?

13»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

No the British Public pi55ed the money up against the wall

They borrowed and spent

They bought big screen TVs and threw away the old one, they bought 2nd and 3rd properties and rejoiced as the property market went up and up, not realising that it was only their own greed sustaining it. They 'released the equity' in their properties and splashed it on holidays and an endless stream of consumer goods they didn't need but had to have.

Labour spent on the Public sector, the Tories would have cut taxes....the end result would have been the same. No one was going to turn off the music while people were still dancing.

Greedy bankers only made money from a greedy public.

The really sad thing is we all got a warning only a decade before when the dot coms went tits up

'Please God just one more bubble'

So much truth there but people don't want to hear it because the truth hurts and pointing the finger at yourself is inconceivable.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    And Brown has finally admitted he fecked up. Obviously the blame doesn't lie completely there, but Labour were the ones p!ssing money up the wall in the good times, bloating out the public sector and leaving the country with an almost impossible debt. And of course, leaving all the problems to someone else....

They borrowed and spent

They bought big screen TVs and threw away the old one, they bought 2nd and 3rd properties and rejoiced as the property market went up and up, not realising that it was only their own greed sustaining it. They 'released the equity' in their properties and splashed it on holidays and an endless stream of consumer goods they didn't need but had to have.

Labour spent on the Public sector, the Tories would have cut taxes....the end result would have been the same. No one was going to turn off the music while people were still dancing.

The really sad thing is we all got a warning only a decade before when the dot coms went tits up

boom-and-bust-subprime-300x225.gif

Well said.
  • The coalition will run the full term. The real question is what will happen to the lib dems as a party at the next election. I could see the party splitting into those who want to maintain a semi-permanent coalition, and those who don't (read: those who want a semi permanent coalition with the Trots).

Unfortunately I can see the Tories getting booted out next time around, whether with coalition partners or without. The Trots screwed the country good and proper (sorry, but they can't take all the credit for the good times that ran on the back of a banking/financial services boom and then dodge the blame when the same boom goes bust). The Tories now have to do the dirty work of scraping the shit off the walls and showing everyone how bad it smells. They won't get thanked for that one bit.

Labour's masterstroke was to create a gigantic sector of the electorate whose continued employment was owed to, umm, Labour. There's now no longer a clear leaning left or right from the electorate as there was in Thatcher/Major/Blair years. I think we're in for a few years of swapping governments at each election, much like the 60s and 70s. With or without av, the minority parties will hold disproportionate power.

And (1) anyone who thinks we need av to end years of unfair election results needs their bloody head examined (2) the sooner the West Lothian question is resolved in favour of England the better (3) I quite like NI. In contradistinction to their fellow members of the Union.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    TWH wrote:

They borrowed and spent

May very well be your greatest post ever.

Unless you're on Greg (any Greg) money I'm not seeing how £10,000 credit cards and loans was ever a good thing.
    Greg66 wrote:
    The coalition will run the full term. The real question is what will happen to the lib dems as a party at the next election. I could see the party splitting into those who want to maintain a semi-permanent coalition, and those who don't (read: those who want a semi permanent coalition with the Trots).

Unfortunately I can see the Tories getting booted out next time around, whether with coalition partners or without. The Trots screwed the country good and proper (sorry, but they can't take all the credit for the good times that ran on the back of a banking/financial services boom and then dodge the blame when the same boom goes bust). The Tories now have to do the dirty work of scraping the shoot off the walls and showing everyone how bad it smells. They won't get thanked for that one bit.

Labour's masterstroke was to create a gigantic sector of the electorate whose continued employment was owed to, umm, Labour. There's now no longer a clear leaning left or right from the electorate as there was in Thatcher/Major/Blair years. I think we're in for a few years of swapping governments at each election, much like the 60s and 70s. With or without av, the minority parties will hold disproportionate power.

And (1) anyone who thinks we need av to end years of unfair election results needs their bloody head examined (2) the sooner the West Lothian question is resolved in favour of England the better (3) I quite like NI. In contradistinction to their fellow members of the Union.

Mandelson was right. The party who got in during the last Election would have a hard time getting in after that.

I completely understand that the Tories have to "clean up this mess" it's the way they're going about it that I have issue with.

I don't think AV will change much of anything. I just want to see a change that will help shift towards and hoepfully eventually proportional representation. May not happen that way though.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game