Help me choose a bike!

PolyphonicBoy
PolyphonicBoy Posts: 68
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
I currently have a Giant Boulder MTB, but find I'm very rarely off-road, and think I'd be better off with a hybrid / commuter or road bike.

I'm keen to cycle to work (10 miles each way into Edinburgh) occasionally during the summer.

I don't have a big budget, maybe £500 tops. Would rather be nearer £300.

Or should I just get some slick tyres on the MTB and tighten the shocks?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think youd be better off on a proper road bike (as in Road bike or road biased hybrid), although in the short term you could make the boulder more commute friendy an MTB carries a lot of weight in almost every component it doesn't need the strength for on the road.

If you want a Hybrid, the Carrera Gryphon (on run out now apparently) is a good solid bike for not too much money, or there is the similar Carrera road bike also within your budget.

Only YOU will now if flats or drops are the right choice for you, I ride flats but set pretty low.

That or look for used (ebay/gumtree)......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Simon. Think I'd rather stick with flat bars. Just read the BikeRadar review of the Gryphon, and it sounds ideal. I'll pop into my local Halfords on the way home and have a look. :D
  • Went to look at the Gryphon last night, which was nice enough, but fell in love with the Boardman bikes! Particularly the Hybrid Comp. Is it worth the extra £200? I might be able to get it though the 'cycle to work' scheme.

Would you recommend Disc brakes over V brakes?
  • mrobbie
    mrobbie Posts: 64
    Check which cycle to work scheme your employer use - halfords have their own scheme which meant I could not buy from there for example. There are a selection of others such as cyclescheme, Evans Ride2Work etc etc

I was in a similar boat to yourself; 10 mile commute to work on roads all the way, which I was doing on a front suspension Giant Uplander SE MTB. Thought of swapping the tyres for some slicks (Halfords had a buy 1 get one half price offer) then saw the Gryphon at Halfords.

Almost pulled the trigger to buy the Gryphon with disc brakes then looked into my works cycle to work scheme and saw Trek and Specialized hybrids starting around £350, and on a cycle to work scheme this worked out at less than £15 a month less than my current salary payment.

This is where the problems start... £15 was more than affordable and so started looking further up the ranges. I set my mind between a Trek and a Specialized both at £550. I went and test rode both one weekend and decide to also try a slightly pricier road bike just to see... Unbelieveable difference. Was converted straight away.

Now waiting on the cyclescheme voucher for my road bike and accessories, but will be keeping the MTB for heading out with the kids round the common.
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • Throwing a spanner in the works, I've spotted a second-hand 09/10 Boardman Hybrid Team for sale locally. Looking at it tonight. Wouldn't be able to use Cycle-to-work scheme, but it's only £360 for a superior bike.

To many options! :?

What should I be looking out for when viewing/testing a second hand bike?
  • The Rookie
    Does it look OK (that is cared for, while a cared for bike MAY be knackerd, an uncared for bike almost certainly IS!) do the brakes work as they should, and can you pedal (and put some muscle into it) right the way up through the gears with good shifting (ease off for the shifts!) and no chain skipping or ghost shifting etc

As a starter that will cover most issues for someone who is inexperienced.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chicken67
    chicken67 Posts: 84
    I road a Specialized Sirrus Sport for a couple of years on a nine mile each way commute & loved every minute of it, this bike got me back into cycling again.
    It was fast light shifted up & down quickly & the frame geometry was spot on.
    I went on to buy an Allez & although I love it I still miss the Sirrus.
  • This is an interesting debate which everyone goes through.

My experience can add one thing you should consider if you haven't already bought the Boardman (which looks like a pretty good spec/geometry for the price) -
    I have been riding Edinburgh's roads for a long while and this year had to give up on a rigid front end and go suspension forks. I loved my little rigid hybrid steel framed retro toy but the potholes in Edinburgh (certainly west side) are beyond shocking.

My wife is an Edinburgh rider too and has come to the same decision to run suspension forks. We come in along Glasgow Road through Corstorphine. Not sure what the other incoming roads are like but town is crap too!

I would love to say this is only a result of this years poor weather but it has been getting more and more problematic for a long time.

In terms of your question about disc brakes, I don't think it makes that big an issue on a commuter bike (others will argue - cue separate debate). On my mountain bike I swear by them but purely because a slight dink in the rim can effect your braking. On my hybrid, I would consider them just to be unnecessary additional weight. I ride with v-brakes and they are light and cheap to replace pads etc.
  • Second-hand Boardman was a bit scuffed up and had some issues with the gears so I'm leaving well clear.

Off to Halfords after work to order the Hybrid Comp. Would actually have preferred the 2010 model (black frame with Ritchey bar ends etc), but they have no Large models left. Will settle for the white 2011 model.
  • The Rookie
    Enjoy.....

Simon