Fair weather cyclists?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
February, 2 regular cyclists in my building, March this rose to 3 (and a half I guess you'd say) now there are more bikes than in some bike shops (9 last count including a tandem!).

Of course most the new starters are on road bikes, proving conclusivley that us Hybrid cyclists are hardier :lol:

So how many FWC's where you work?

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    LOADS.

One whiff of bad weather and the bike shed empties. Cold mornings? Empty.

Blazing sunshine? Be there early or you don't get a space. I wonder if us seasoned types can reserve parking? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Loads.

Arrived at the office at 7am this morning to find a bike locked in MY space. What is the world coming too, I'll be p!ssed off all day now, nobody takes my err, my bit of the pole that I put my lock round.

Scum.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    there's lots in our building - makes me happy to see people out on bikes, it only gets mildly annoying when the bike shed gets full and I have to lock up in the outside racking, but it's no big deal
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    Loads.

Arrived at the office at 7am this morning to find a bike locked in MY space. What is the world coming too, I'll be p!ssed off all day now, nobody takes my err, my bit of the pole that I put my lock round.

Scum.

you're funny :lol:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Only a couple
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    loads and most of them are cycling on the path.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I live in Sheffield, which is very hilly, and the station is at low level.

The FWCs all suddenly come out in March. They cycle down to the station and leave their bikes there for weeks because don't or can't cycle back up the hills. So in the morning you can't find a spot to park the bike and have to double park.

Its great to see more people using their bikes, but it really gets my goat that some leave their bikes at the station for ages.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    on the cycle path is use in the morning (to rough to use at night) there has been a steady increase in riders generally all riding the same type of Aldi special bikes

its good seeing more people riding though

question when im riding why do you see loads of people going the other way an not the way you are going?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sfichele wrote:
    I live in Sheffield, which is very hilly, and the station is at low level.

The FWCs all suddenly come out in March. They cycle down to the station and leave their bikes there for weeks because don't or can't cycle back up the hills. So in the morning you can't find a spot to park the bike and have to double park.

Its great to see more people using their bikes, but it really gets my goat that some leave their bikes at the station for ages.

We have a small bike rack in our underground carpark. There are two bikes which are left there almost permanently - both Emmelle full sussers that weigh about as much as an Audi Q7. Might have to ask facilities to get them removed. They must be worth several hundred pounds in scrap metal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mudcow007 wrote:
    question when im riding why do you see loads of people going the other way an not the way you are going?

Because the ones going the same way as you are going the same way as you!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007
    Because you're going in the same direction as them, so (although I'm sure you're going much quicker than them :wink:) they're always heading away from you, as opposed to people going the other way who are heading towards you. Same as when you're driving, how many cars do you pass going the other way? Loads more than you pass going the same way as you.

sfichele
    Maybe they just get there earlier than you and leave after?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Hard to say. I think most of the FWCs leave their bike in the office bike park over winter so you can't really tell.

OT; it know they are only sheffield stands, but I always park mine on the far right of the second row so woe betide the scrote who decides he'll just stick barely servicable rust bucket there, or even worse the flange who puts his bike on the 'wrong' side of the opposite stand so his wheel rubs against mine...

e-c, I geel your pain.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Because the ones going the same way as you are going the same way as you!

and the ones who aren't, aren't

It's all very logical you see 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahhh i get cha!!

plus i think its because i finish at 16:30 an most peeps leave at 17:00 there is absolutely no SCR around here at all, i have to pretend an race my shadow (he keeps winning though)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    hmmm must be quite a hardy office here, I think all 10 or so riders are all weather..
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Spent since january pretty much in the bike shed by myself which is now populated with some real frankenbikes.

I really don't agree with swapping out drops for flats on a road bike, soooo ugly.

The ones I'm finding more annoying are those that decide to sidle in front/beside you at lights and then try and race you off them, wobbling side to side for approximately the width of the street!
    FCN: 6
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i have to pretend an race my shadow (he keeps winning though)

Cycle towards the sun. You'll beat the shadow then 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i have to pretend an race my shadow (he keeps winning though)

Cycle towards the sun. You'll beat the shadow then 8)

Where about in Scotland are you Daviesee? I keep overtaking a bloke on a beautiful Colnago X-Lite in Saroni colours, I mean, there couldn't be two of them, right?
  • Good weather, bad weather or indifferent weather: it's always just me cycling in!

I have started to see more cyclists on the road now that the weather has improved but can never really be bothered with SCR (mainly 'cos I'll just get scalped anyway)
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I'm probably a FWC as far as the other three or four people that cycle into my office are concerned. I've kind of got in and out of the habit.

Does mean that there isn't really any competition for the bike racks, though, which is nice. There is one long-abandoned Apollo BSO sitting there, along with a stack of pranged wheels and a carbon Cinelli frame in an open box. I don't know what those are doing there.
  • Lots more. 2 weeks ago lots of space in racks when i was going in of an afternoon to do a late shift. now its absolutely chock full. although i foresee a bit of space for the remainder of the week .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • No FWC's at all here.... erm, actually no cyclists except me.

There are a couple of guys who cycle less than a mile on Halfrauds specials, but I'm not counting that as "commuting", and the Company Secretary very occasionally cycles in, but only in the summer months. Other than that there's one guy who sporadically comes in on a Friday.

Everyone else thinks I'm nuts (including my family).

Welcome to "healthy" Glasgow folks...... :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain