Forest riding still in danger

clodhoppa74
clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Was reading in MBR (sorry if that's swearing here) that the new body for informing the government on access to forests (Forest Access Commission - i think) hasn't got a cycling or even equestrian element to it - only having the Ramblers Association.

I personally think that's a bit whack. The RA aren't known for their love of mountain bikers sharing trails with walkers, and are probably only included anyway because of their vociferous right to roam actions that did, admittedly, open up the countryside to a lot more people than previously.

Comments

• I'm new to MTB but I'm not new to land access, rights of way and the Ramblers Association.

The RA are first and foremost a political organisation and take a major interest in being represented in every niche of country side land use.

In my opinion the RA are a totally selfish organisation and will look to use their considerable political power to leverage what ever outcome they prefer. If they means the exclusion of other user groups then so be it.

If we are not represented we are totally exposed to having our land access rights reduced/extinguished. If you have no voice then there is no chance for you to fight your corner, do the CTC make representations on our behalf?

In the motorised world Land Access and Recreation Assoc. and the Trail Riders Fellowship become involved on their members behalf.

Oh and Hi as this is my first post,
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I understand the CTC share these concerns are are getting involved.
    Of course we could always stage a protest, i'd love to see the members of BR's forum cycling en masse around London and peacefull indicating how important an issue this is.
  • Yeah that'd be good to see, lets hope it doesn't come to that though!

If we did we'd still need to make sure it couldn't be portrayed in a negative light - any antis would love that.

Smile nicely at those ramblers but watch ure' backs :)