Front mech for Gary Fisher 29er

scottalej
scottalej Posts: 135
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone on here have a Gary Fisher 29er? I need to know which currently available shimano front mech will fit a 2010 GF Paragon? There's very little clearance between the rear tyre and seat tube and also the bottle carrier mounts get in the way of the old SLX mech I tried.
Orange Clockwork 2007
Orange 5 2007
Just bought 2008 P7 frame (Orange fan? Me!)
Cotic Soul
Pace RC303
Marin Mount Vision 2005, for sale
Stumpy HT 2006, shite, sold
Kona Lava Dome fully rigid

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which SLX did you try?

It looks like they do come with the mech between the bottle bolts.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... e-ec020821
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It looks like you need a conventional front mech rather than a top swing.
  • scottalej
    scottalej Posts: 135
    It's one of the original SLX so 2008? The bottle mount stopped it going low enough but from that pic there seems to be a very large gap between the cage and the top of the outer chainring so I guess they just built them like that. The other issue with the mech though is there isn't enough room between the seat tube and the tyre. I'd need one with very little bulk at the rear.
    I was thinking of trying the Deore M590 as the fitting collar might fit below the bottle mount and the hinge etc should sit lower relative to the wheel where there is some more clearance.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40545
    Orange Clockwork 2007
    Orange 5 2007
    Just bought 2008 P7 frame (Orange fan? Me!)
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC303
    Marin Mount Vision 2005, for sale
    Stumpy HT 2006, shite, sold
    Kona Lava Dome fully rigid
  • I'd be interested to hear what you go for in the end - i have the same issue but with a bottom pull Inbred 29er - the current (old) Deore LX mech i have leaves only a couple of mm clearance.
    So trying to find something else that will fit - it's impossible without being able to see other mechs to compare them to the old one. Popping into the LBS tonight to see what they have, will let you know if that's successful.

Jim