Deore rapidfire swop over please

jako999
jako999 Posts: 26
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all I am a novice at this but still enjoy the the odd ride out I have a Cube which is fitted with Deore rapidfire gear shift now this may sound very stupid but I don't use 1 to 3 which is on the left bar I do use 1 to 9 which is on the right bar, my right arm has some problems and I would like to switch the gear shifts round. The leavers would have to stay the same but as one is 3 and the other 9 before I take them apart can the inside mech be switched or do I need to replace it?
Thanks in advance
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    So you want to be able to operate the rear gears from the left hand side of the bars?

you cannot swap the internal mechanisms of the shifters over

I'm not sure if there is away to do what you want to do?

What problems are you having with the right hand shifter?

There may be other options for the right hand side shifter such as a grip shift shifter
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    A right hand gripshift mounted on the left would work albeit backwards. It might also be an idea to swap your brake levers over to the euro style so your front brakes on the left hand.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really euro style as most if not all of the Americas use it that way round.

more to do with the side of the road you drive on.

back to your gears. also have a look at shimanos DCL shifters. loved by some hated by others.

they use the brake lever to shift, a bit like a road bike. It does depend on your problem but go look and try. also if you dont go for the hydro version it should/could work upside down.

what movement do you have? is it grip or movement or?

how is the thumb?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jako999
    jako999 Posts: 26
    Thanks for that I have problems with my right elbow and wrist so I ride most of the time with just my left hand on the bars so all I rely want to do is make my left quickshift (the sort with the two leavers) just be able to go up and down 9 times. I hope that makes sense as I said I only use the bike for a bit of fun.
    Thanks again
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
    "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jako999 wrote:
    so all I rely want to do is make my left quickshift (the sort with the two leavers) just be able to go up and down 9 times.
    Thanks again

and that unfortunately is not possible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown