cycling shoes advice - lake?

aripallaris
aripallaris Posts: 294
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
came across these and wondered if they were good for cycling:
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/31603/Lak ... Shoes.html

they seem to have an spd y at the bottom and say that they are also good for indoor and outdoor use. this fits the bill as i want something i can walk in but not be forced to walk on the spd adaptor. also wanted a shoe i could wear without the spd attachment. mainly because im new to road bikes and going straight to SPD might be a step too far. best to conquer the roads and build confidence before i get run over lol. what do you guys think?
also whats the generally rule with road bike shoes - buy a size smaller, same as current or larger?

ari

Comments

• cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    Not sure about those shoes, but in terms of sizing it definitely varies between manufacturers. One of my mates is three different sizes in three different makes of cycling shoe, so it's always best to try them on before you buy.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SPDs, rather than SPD-SLs, have a small recessed metal cleat and are fine to walk on. I would advise you to get proper cycling SPD shoes, not those things which look like the hybrid of the shoe world - trying to be everything and probably ending up doing nothing well.
    Cycling shoes have a stiff sole so that they can transfer power to the pedals properly but that means you can't walk in them as well as you can in a pair of normal shoes. Anything that tries to be both will probably fail a bit at both.

4_DSC00049_1.jpg SPD cleats
    4_DSC00043_1.jpg The cleat is below the level of the tread.

15811d1254495832-dsc02780.jpg SPD-SL cleats stick out more than Eddy Grant at a KKK rally and are hard to walk on.

Online shoe sales don't work too well because even if you have the sizing right and its a brand you've worn before they may just not feel right, so, whatever shoes you go for, try them on before you buy them.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!