Hope tech brakes

OrangeFatLad
OrangeFatLad Posts: 62
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I've had my hope tech brakes for about 6 months now and they seem to have developed a lot of play, by play I mean how much I have to move the lever before it engages the disc. Its almost as if the brakes haven't adjusted after the brakes pads have worn. I've tried to adjust the BPC and reach but doesn't seem to make that much difference.

I assume they are auto adjusting......?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I find when the lever starts pulling close to the bar the pads are worn out. Worth looking to check especially if you have had only one set of pads in six months....?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Auto-adjust normally needs a helping hand (it is designed to work perfectly if the disks do not flex).

take wheel out.

tap brake in fast a couple of times, put wheel back in.

repeat a few times until it feels right.

Had to pump my formula brakes over 50 times to get it right, but formula are special.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited April 2011
    cavegiant wrote:
    Auto-adjust normally needs a helping hand (it is designed to work perfectly if the disks do not flex).
    It's worked perfectly on my Hopes for 2 years.Likewise on the Juicy 5's and Juicy Ultimates I've had previously.
    ratty2k wrote:
    I find when the lever starts pulling close to the bar the pads are worn out. Worth looking to check especially if you have had only one set of pads in six months....?
    Same here (Tech M4)
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    It's easy to pull your pads out and check if they're warn, try that first then if they aren't use cavegiants idea. Don't spend anything before you've checked.