I am an idiot - possibly damaged disc brakes? (squealing)

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I'm a total idiot. I was heading out this morning and thought... hmmm the chain could prob do with some lubrication... so... I applied aerosol based lub from local bike shop. Stupidly I applied it everywhere and now the bike has a hellish squeal when I brake.

I've came home and washed the discs down but no joy, well... its not as bad but still sounds like a screaming banshee - any ideas how can I fix it?

Help!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove pads. wash dics again a cycle disc brake cleaner is good.

fit new pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • new pads and take the rotors off and give them a very thorough clean.
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I did the same thing a few months ago by mistake i found that cleaning the rotors with nail varnish remover worked fine i also just gave the pads a scrub with a piece of sand paper.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    meths on the pad sometimes can save them
    i ride a hardtail
  • Do I need to disassemble or just strip the disc as I spin it round?
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    Be easier to clean the rotors if they arent attached to the wheel but doesnt really make much difference
    i ride a hardtail
  • Will Snow wrote:
    Be easier to clean the rotors if they arent attached to the wheel but doesnt really make much difference

Great thanks all :) Will give it a blast.... and relax...
  • Muttly1981
    Do I need to disassemble or just strip the disc as I spin it round?

I'd certainly take the wheel off before cleaning the rotor as i was playing around with my rear brake whilst spinning the wheel and did this :oops:
    ouch.jpg
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Muttly1981 wrote:

I'd certainly take the wheel off before cleaning the rotor as i was playing around with my rear brake whilst spinning the wheel and did this :oops:
    ouch.jpg
    I've done that before too
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 wrote:

ouch.jpg

I was amazed at how common an injury this seems to be :lol:
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:

I was amazed at how common an injury this seems to be :lol:
    tbf, I've done both of your recent injuries. The finger and the knee.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    don't pull the lever with the pads out
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    IPA to clean the disks
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Muc off disc brake cleaner works well
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Ive heard that burning the contaminated pads off works well. Remove the pads and stick them in the oven on a high heat for a bit.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    rieko wrote:
    Ive heard that burning the contaminated pads off works well. Remove the pads and stick them in the oven on a high heat for a bit.
    Depends on the pads. Don't try it unless you know what you are doing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools