Strong wheels - advice please?

MattJWL
MattJWL Posts: 147
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
After breaking numerous spokes & having my wheels trued a number of times, I'm looking for some stronger wheels for my road bike. I weigh 89KG, and ride on roads that aren't perfect (live in the Alps, they have even more of a frost problem than Berkshire). I'm pretty au fait with MTB stuff, but don't really know what's best for my road bike. I'd like it reasonably light, strong enough to take my weight, and not too expensive (I'd hesitate to spend over £300 per wheel). Is there anything that anyone could recommend? More requirements below to help with the filtering!
Many thanks
Matt

Shimano freehub, 10speed, usually ride 25 or 23c tyres, prefer clincher as need puncture protection too.
Intense Carbine SL
"Chinarello"
Taylor Made
Off to pastures new:
CELL Team Pro
Intense Spider FRO
Giant XTC Composite Clone
1992 Fisher Al-1
1990 Raleigh Mirage
1988 Cloria Italian MTB

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,021
    based on your requirement, weight, roads, etc. why not get some made...

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/contact.htm

should be well within budget of 300/wheel, and they'll be tailored to what you need
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    handbuilts, from a good builder

some ideas:

rims; Open Pros or Ambrosio Excellights
    hubs: Hope Pro3 or Dura Ace or PMP or Royce or even Tune if you can afford it....
    spokes: DT DB and prolock nipples - maybe black brass on rear driveside
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Definitely handbuilts from a good builder.

Your budget of £300 per wheel is certainly not a cheap build - £600 for a set. So that gives you some good options.

I'm not a heavy rider (only 60kg), but riding audax means I value reliability and comfort over virtually everything else.

My new wheels (built by The Bike Whisperer in Ealing) are designed for strength and would just about fit in your budget.

I selected Royce Titan hubs - 36holes of shiny loveliness.

Rims - I went with Ambrosio Excellence (you could also look at Excellights)

Spokes are DT Swiss Revolution

Really pleased with them - they got their first real outing this weekend on the Elenith 300 (well the back wheel did - my dynohub wheel was on the front as there were several hours of night riding to be done on this one!).

Overall, agree with the previous posts - handbuilt is the way to go!
  • MattJWL
    Thanks all - seems like handbuilt would be the best option.

Any recommendations for good builders? I live in Switzerland so guess people don't know here (would be nice if anyone did though).

I get back to the UK now & then so can pick them up from either the south east or north west, so who would you recommend? I ask because I've twice had MTB wheels built by LBSs, and they've both gone out of true very quickly (much more so than the good factory wheels I've had).
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    Harry Rowland is based in the South East and is very well respected, drop him an email with what you are after and he'll give you his recommendation.

http://www.harryrowland.co.uk/
  • hubcap
    Harry Rowland is based in the South East and is very well respected, drop him an email with what you are after and he'll give you his recommendation.

• hubcap

• maddog 2
    Paul Hewitt in the NW. Superb builds.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • +1 Paul Hewitt
  • maddog 2
    Geneva?
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Rigida DP18 is a deep profile aluminium rim that makes for strong wheels. In silver or black, 32 or 36.
  • MattJWL
    Geneva?
    Geneva's not far away... why?

Thanks all for your thoughts - very instructive, I'm starting to get more of an idea :-)
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB