spokes ripped from rim

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
went to collect offspring from uni last week, and noticed his rear wheel was pringle shaped. Story was that it got knocked sideways while in a bike rack of some sort. Looks like 5 or 6 spokes have been ripped out of the rim, complete with their nipples. I'm assuming this means the rim is toast. It's an odd wheelset I bought on Ebay when his originals got nicked (Truvativ possibly. Did they ever do wheels??), so the chances of getting a direct replacement are slim.

Presumably a different rim would mean different spokes, and if that's the case, a cheapo factory wheel or another Ebay foray might be a cheaper, lower hassle option??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited April 2011
    Cheap wheel, and he seems like a careless offspring. Send him out to work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    LOL, sounds like ebay is the best bet.....

And yes tell him to get a job, both my girls have one - very liberating it is for them!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Both student offspring do have jobs! Trouble is, they seem to spend it as fast as they earn it, and I still get to fix their bikes, car, laptops etc etc.

Fleabay here I come again!
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Sounds like its early crimbo pressie time :twisted:
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Let them walk... its easier/less painful to walk than ride a bike when pissed (from personal Uni experience).