Trek Fuel Ex8 2011 Disc Brake Problems

MickyMick
MickyMick Posts: 33
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently purchased a Trek Ex8 2011 and before i left the shop indicated i wasn't happy with the brakes as i could pull the levers back until they touched the remainig fingers on the grips. they bleed them three times and i was assured that they would 'firm up' after a couple of rides and to bring the bike back if i still wasn't happy and that they would replace them. I've noticed that the rear has 'firmed up' slightly but the front remains soft and loses all power if the bike is turned upside down to take off the wheel and push a rubbing pad back in place (it seemed to have stuck!) and needs quite a few lever pulls to get back to it's usual state. I would believe this to mean air is either in the front brake system or is getting in due to a leak. halfway through the second ride I noticed i starting getting a vibration when using the rear brake - i'm assuming this is down to the brake rather than the 'Active Braking Pivot' as it was not there previously.

The brakes are Avid Elixir 5's and I was mainly wondering if the feel of the brakes i.e. how close to the bar they come is normal? as i said i have no problems with their power it's more the feel. tried pulling the same brakes on a Demo Bike at GT and they seemed perfect. Does anyone have any thoughts - much appreciated.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Can you adjust the lever reach and the bite adjust point? I can on my Juicys and the Elixirs are an 'evolution' of those.

Something doesn't sound right though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How close to the bar depends on how you have set the reach adjusters.

but it sounds like there is air in the front brake.

But you should not pull the lever with the bike inverted as if there is some air in the system it can pump it into the line.

the rear have a look at the pads and check the Qr is tight.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MickyMick
    Thanks for the reply Bails, Lever adjust is fully out :-s
  • MickyMick
    Nick thanks for the reply, I've tried all combinations on the reach adjusters and they're currently at the max imum reach and still travelling all the way in. never had this issue with the shimano xt's on my HT. I didn't pull the lever when the bike was inverted - just re-read my original post and should have made that clear.

I've had the vibration problem with my aforementioned XT's before and it was down to rotor bolts coming loose. On the avids i ensured all bolts/nuts affecting the brake system were tight and i was still getting the vibrations. I'm really just wanting to rule out it has anything to do with the rear suspension 'Active Braking Pivot' as this is my first full suss bike although i have demo'd a few without coming across any vibrrations.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Sounds like an Avid problem... Avids are notorious for needing to be bled from the box, and also for pistons sticking after a while. How long have you had the bike? How much has it been used and how well has it been cleaned?
  • MickyMick
    Cheers Matt, Been out on it twice now and covered about 30miles on it over both rides. cleaned thoroughly between rides!
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    If your pushing the pads back in manually you'll need to pull the levers a few times to re-set them. Has the caliper been properly centered on the rotor?
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If it cant right, go back to the shop. Usually a "I am new to this, is this how they are supposed to be?" is enough to get a good shop to sort them. Else get them to be sent back to Fishers (the UK suppliers) for warranty assessment.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Continually pump the brake levers, hard. Sometimes the pistons just have to set themselves.

Or look in the etch manuals on 'advancing' the pistons.