Jumping Technique

Nijinsky
Nijinsky Posts: 35
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Ive recently got into MTB'ing and I'm loving it. I do around 14 miles a day then hit a big ride or a trail on the weekend. Only been doing it a few weeks mind!
Anyway, I took on the red route with my brother at sherwood pines this weekend. I was getting around fine, and I really was having a good time.

I got to the downhill section and it all went wrong. Full of confidence I decided to take on more i could chew. I'm going down fine, flying through the course, then I came to a gap jump, I'd been doing jumps all morning so wasnt phased and just went for it. I didnt make the other side!

Well i did but it was over my handlebars, upside down on my head, without my bike.

How the hell do you do them?! they seem physically impossible. I cant seem to get the "air" needed to get from one side of the other.

Any tips for this or anything for trails would be great. :D

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Do you ride a full sus or hardtail?

Basic technique is push the bike down into the lip upslope, then spring off the lip, Keep you weight pretty central or a bit backwards. Keep the cranks parallel to the ground and point your toes down a tiny bit. Finally, go faster :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Basic technique for jumping is the same as if you're getting your front wheel off the ground to get over, say, a branch. Unweight the front wheel and push down with your legs and the front wheel comes up. Jedi (yet another thumbs up for UK Bike Skills coaching) teaches to "push" about a foot or two before the lip. After that it's a case of remaining neutral on the bike and, if really needed, a slight push to get the front end down if it's up in the air (because you're leaning back).
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Speeeeeeeed!
  • Nijinsky
    im riding a spesh rockhopper hardtail. speed is what took me off the bike and so far down the hill :P.
    I'm not too phased by anything difficult in my mind, i just need the ability. It didnt hurt as much as it looks on you've been framed.
    I'll try the push into the ground technique then pull up. See how it goes at cannock this weekend!
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Nijinsky wrote:
    It didnt hurt as much as it looks on you've been framed.

:D quality!
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Nijinsky wrote:
    im riding a spesh rockhopper hardtail. speed is what took me off the bike and so far down the hill :P.
    I'm not too phased by anything difficult in my mind, i just need the ability. It didnt hurt as much as it looks on you've been framed.
    I'll try the push into the ground technique then pull up. See how it goes at cannock this weekend!

Once tried that technique when i was 17 and pulled back waaaaaay to hard and flipped the bike leaving me with cracked ribs, a broken collerbone, whiplash, concussiion and i was coughing up blood for 3 days :oops: didn't ride again properly for 11 years untill i got back into it last year, I'm going to make sure this latest injury doesn't set me back as long.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    the push into the ground stuff is really just a cheat, like jumping with spds and pretending it's a bunnyhop. Learn technique (mine is deficient but getting better) and you'll be better. And safer.
  • Nijinsky
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Nijinsky wrote:

Once tried that technique when i was 17 and pulled back waaaaaay to hard and flipped the bike leaving me with cracked ribs, a broken collerbone, whiplash, concussiion and i was coughing up blood for 3 days :oops: didn't ride again properly for 11 years untill i got back into it last year, I'm going to make sure this latest injury doesn't set me back as long.

bloody el. Maybe i'll just still to canal paths!

Cheers for the advice tho guys. Ive been scanning youtube. gonna try a few things out tonight and put them in to practice this weekend.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Wouldn't a bunny hop help clear the gap in this case or is that what is being described in the techniques above? Not that I can bunny hop though. If I could properly bunny hop I think I'd enjoy my riding so much more as it gives many more options of clearing an obstacle.
  • Muttly1981
    Nijinsky wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Nijinsky wrote:

bloody el. Maybe i'll just still to canal paths!

Cheers for the advice tho guys. Ive been scanning youtube. gonna try a few things out tonight and put them in to practice this weekend.

Don't let my accidents put you off i'm just an idiot who is injury prone :-s i think it's a case of ambition outweighing tallent
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    i'm just an idiot who is injury prone
    join the club :lol:
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 wrote:

:D:D:D
    My philosophy is if your going to hurt yourself you may aswell do a proper job of it 8)
  • getonyourbike
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:

:D:D:D
    My philosophy is if your going to hurt yourself you may aswell do a proper job of it 8)
    yep. everytime I've been out on the downhill course the past few weeks I've had a crash. So I'm sporting some massive multi coloured bruises on my left knee from last saturday and today i had an off on the 15/20ft tabletop. The new kneepads saved me though. I should have got them ages ago.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    lol@at the lip etc..
  • concorde
    Check ouy my flawless technique on my shitty bike! NOT! Haha. More air rolling off a curb!

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n512/gussyboy84/?start=all
  • getonyourbike
    Jedi wrote:
    lol@at the lip etc..
    :?
  • http://www.yfrog.com/0f3r9z

This should make you smile :lol:
  • concorde
    It might do if you quality and resolution wasn't like somethign from 1655 :-/
  • It was sent to me from a friend who was out in Sherwood Pines so probably from an iPhone or equivalent.

If you squint and keep the window small you'll get the idea - still bloody funny irrespective of quality!
  • Concorde wrote:
    Check ouy my flawless technique on my shitty bike! NOT! Haha. More air rolling off a curb!

I'm no expert or anything close to it.. but this looks ok to me? Anyone else?.. Just load up the front (weight over) more if you have to and then pull up and shift the weight back a little.. the rest.. should just follow ..

***All theroy based, cant actually jump forcing it myself, only when theres a big run up and a "jump" style takeoff - then the landings abit hairy!..***
  • concorde
    I am getting the gist after a few viewings! Yeah it looks like it's been sized down for MMS quality.
  • concorde
    Concorde wrote:

I'm no expert or anything close to it.. but this looks ok to me? Anyone else?.. Just load up the front (weight over) more if you have to and then pull up and shift the weight back a little.. the rest.. should just follow ..

***All theroy based, cant actually jump forcing it myself, only when theres a big run up and a "jump" style takeoff - then the landings abit hairy!..***

Cool. Only thing I was trying (well I weren't really trying anything actually, it just happened) I wanted to record and see if my feet were pointing down slightly and elbows level etc. That's all I know is meant to be happening. THe jumo is tiny anway lol
  • It's not the video that's really funny - it's listening to his mate Pete who can't stop laughing and is so concerned that he doesn't stop filming when rushing to see if he is ok!
  • concorde
    It's not the video that's really funny - it's listening to his mate Pete who can't stop laughing and is so concerned that he doesn't stop filming when rushing to see if he is ok!

Haha yes, I did have some respect for him standing there asking are you ok and still filming and pissing his self lol. Top man!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Concorde wrote:

Don't pull up, push down and weight the forks near the lip, then spring up. It gives you much more control than just pulling up.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Don't listen to all this e-net malarkey. That kind of advice will hurt you.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    The way i always see jumping my bike is like jumping just while stood up, you dont just push up you first go low then push up to get some power and speed. Same with your bike push it down then power up.