Long long socks.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Was cycling round Richmond park this weekend (and getting royally rinsed by everyone too) and I couldn't help but notice the surprisingly numerous examples of pretty lean looking roadies wearing what can only be describes as REALLY LONG SOCKS, that go right up to just under the knee > a bit like a pair of football socks.

Can I say, as someone who takes satorial efforts on the bike almost seriously as being comfortable on the bike, that it looks ridiculous.

Also - i know you think your black with a bit of white outfit looks cool, but EVERYONE has an outfit like that. C'mon! That goes for all those with a Saxo Bank kit too, even the Swiss Champ kit - especially if, on the day of Paris-Roubaix, you don't understand a bit of Cancellara banter from a guy in a QS top!

Comments

• Amen to that!

No idea where this worrying trend has come from :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    They'd be compression socks methinks.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As above.

Look freakin' ridiculous but do a job some say.

I've never tried them so can't say one way or another, but hey, can only add to the ridiculous look that is full lycra anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    Yossie wrote:
    As above.

Look freakin' ridiculous but do a job some say.

I've never tried them so can't say one way or another, but hey, can only add to the ridiculous look that is full lycra anyway.

I'm sh!t hot in the right lycra.

I'm sure it was the compression socks that made the different between me and them :roll:.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I must say, we drove past a chap in some Skins compression socks to the knee on sunday going at what can only be described as "slow-motion pace"

I have never been so compelled to push a fellow cyclist off his bike as then!
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    I was in the park on Saturday morning and an oldish guy on a Pinarello cruised past me, hands on the tops, saying a cheery hello. He had some white, woolly socks up to mid-shin height.
    Was most disheartening as I was in 'time-trial' mode at the time.
  • rick_chasey
    Cubic wrote:
    I was in the park on Saturday morning and an oldish guy on a Pinarello cruised past me, hands on the tops, saying a cheery hello. He had some white, woolly socks up to mid-shin height.
    Was most disheartening as I was in 'time-trial' mode at the time.

Haha, a common occurance for me.

Recon he sprinted up to get to you and held it all in just for the cheer wave before busting a gut to get out of sight where he recover for a bout 20 mins?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Are not the point of compression socks to help prevent injury and therefore boost performance by helping you go longer, as opposed to increasing your performance levels such as pace?

At least thats what i thought in regards to compression socks for running, idea is that the compression avoids things like shin splints setting in?
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Nah-pull em up when its cold and down when its sunny-perfect for our climes and often seen in France where such things matter.
    Just get the right pair,not some manky footy socks and match the shoe colour.Simple.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,191
    I blame Paula Radcliffe for starting this (and Wiggle obviously - she probably bought them from there!) :wink:
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Didn't Lance Armstrong start this thing off in the peleton?
    They look naff, and are probably more use to athletes likely to suffer impact type injuries, runners/ jumpers. And if you're wearing them to keep your legs warm, what about your poor knees?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    N'ah, Lances were just longish black Nike socks. Were these compression socks or calf guards? I only were my calf guards with 3/4 bib knicks, under longs or when time trialling.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Was cycling round Richmond park this weekend (and getting royally rinsed by everyone too) and I couldn't help but notice the surprisingly numerous examples of pretty lean looking roadies wearing what can only be describes as REALLY LONG SOCKS, that go right up to just under the knee > a bit like a pair of football socks.

Can I say, as someone who takes satorial efforts on the bike almost seriously as being comfortable on the bike, that it looks ridiculous.

Also - i know you think your black with a bit of white outfit looks cool, but EVERYONE has an outfit like that. C'mon! That goes for all those with a Saxo Bank kit too, even the Swiss Champ kit - especially if, on the day of Paris-Roubaix, you don't understand a bit of Cancellara banter from a guy in a QS top!

If you like. Feel better?

And I don't have a black outfit with a little bit of white.

Are you the Chief Constable of the fashion police?

Please list what constitutes acceptable cycling apparel so we can all set about the task of looking exactly like you.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I wear one of these jerseys. Sign of breeding you know

tuxedojersey.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    That's black with a little bit of white.

You sheep.

I'm waiting for Rick to tell me what I'm allowed to wear. I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep.