HELP on disc brakes!!

jon.lane
jon.lane Posts: 16
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

this may sound strange but do you have to stick to the same make of disc brake spares as what the disc brake is? :?

For instance..... my pads on my Hayes Stokers have warn down I think. I went out on a ride today and the stopping power was a bit shit. didn't stop me right away as they usually do.

Was looking online for new bits and wondered if I could put any rotor on there and any pads ordo they have to specifially be Hayes ones?

Cheers for the help.
Cube Acid 2011

"Happiness is not a destination it's the trail you ride along"

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most rotor are fine as long as they are the correct diameter.

pads are caliper specific.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Your calipers will only take the right shape pads, but you don't have to buy Hayes ones.

Superstar (online) will sell you pads that fit for about £6 a pair.

You don't need to change the discs / rotors when you change the pads, they can last years as long as you don't bend them etc.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Superstar pads are also one of the highest quality, so you will save cash and improve the braking.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    That's a matter of opinion. I use them but I don't believe they are the best quality. For example, the braking area is about 20% less than the original pads.
  • On a smilar subject regarding brakes....

.... Thread Highjack...

Would it make a noticeable difference putting the money and effort in to switch a Shimano Deore 160mm rotor on a front brake to a 180mm Hope rotor?
    Would i get noticeable improvement? As i'm putting new pads onto an old rotor i'm thinking nows the time to upgrade the rotor from 160 -180 if its worth it.
    How do i go about adding spacers (or whatever needed) to accomodate the bigger rotor size?
    Thanks

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will get an improvement with any rotor increase in size. you will not get an increase between rotors of the same diameter other than some claims of better cooling or some such.

you buy a suitable adapter for the caliper and the rotor size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick.

Can anyone recommend some quality 180mm brake discs and pads that will fit Shimano brakes???

Are brake discs (of the same diameter) all much the same? I've read that the more holes in the disc the better the cooling, obviously, so better performance but also that makes them more brittle and susceptible to warping and i have a tendacy to cook my brakes

And brake pads. Some folks say stick to the standard fit pads. Other recommend Superstar pads. Others say they are toilet. What should i listen too?

All i know is this:
    Organic = High power soft pad for great feel and power, excellent bite from cold
    Sintered = Hard pads for long life in abrasive condition, extra long life
    Kevlar = Soft race pad for ultimate power but Kevlar fibres give much longer life than Organic

Which confuses matters even more. I don't really want long life i want stopping power so Organic or Kevlar i think is the way forward?

Sorry to keep banging on but your all so wonderfully knowledgable and polite its hard to stop.

Peace.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My Superstar pads are identical in size to the OEM ones they replaced, so maybe it depends on the brakes. Work fine for me (sintered at the moment for winter but planning on fitting organic for summer).
    Not sure that big holes in rotors make any difference to overheating. Heat is a by product of friction so for the same braking power, heat will be similar. I would argue that the larger the area of metal the better the dissipation of heat. Lacy discs may look blingy, but that's all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Superstar pads are fine. As good as the originals, no. Spot on for the price though (but definitely not the same as the original pads)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Atz wrote:
    Superstar pads are fine. As good as the originals, no. Spot on for the price though (but definitely not the same as the original pads)

As a recent convert from V's I bow to your superior judgement, but as someone who spends a lot of time on the brakes, normally in abject terror, they work well enough for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    Atz wrote:
    That's a matter of opinion. I use them but I don't believe they are the best quality. For example, the braking area is about 20% less than the original pads.

totally agree, superstar on my bike now but will revert back to nukeproof as they fill the whole of the backing plate with pad unlike superstar.

of coarse O P could try nukeproof but are double the price of superstar.

5xcr :wink:
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days