Buttock pain - help please!!

dizzyduck
dizzyduck Posts: 39
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Went out for a four hour ride today along a canal with my first ever mountain bike. I bought second hand and the original saddle was damaged so I replaced it with this

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 138c003275

Anyway, I was fine for the first 3 hours or so, and then started getting increasing pain in my buttocks, specifically over the inner bony prominences on which I sit (the bony points felt just beside your scrotum on each side). I was cycling in pain for the last hour and afterwards could not even sit on the saddle anymore because it was too sore. It was a bumpy ride for the last hour, but I still don't think anyone should expect to be in that much pain!

My bike is a Specialized Hardrock Pro 2011, and I was not wearing any padded shorts.

Should I be concerned about this or, perhaps will the pain improve as the seat "wears in"? Do most cyclists need those padded tight shorts to prevent this type of pain? Would changing the saddle to something wider work?

I used to have a wider gel seat on my old hybrid bike before it was stolen and seemed fine with this. I did get a little tired in the area over long rides, but nothing like today where I could not even sit on the saddle anymore!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• piker
    piker Posts: 353
    This is a good read with plenty of facts.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Basically keep trying saddles till you find one that works for you. Padded shorts are also a must, these are a good budget option.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IORZSHS350
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    you just need to form some hard callouses

wouldnt worry about saddles till you are a few rides in and you know what your ass is up for. mines a bit sore this morning as i did three days riding, other times i can do 50-60 miles completley pain free
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Just keep at it.. I rode for the first time in 4 months this weekend (Medical issues), and only did 15-20 miles, and I feel like I've been gang banged by Big Dave and his homies today. :(

I used to happily do 40-60 miles, off road etc, without any problems, but as with most things in cycling, in time, things will get easier :)

Padded shorts are a must though.. chamois cream can help, but I've never been a fan of the whole 'lubing up' process of it. To me, there is something slightly strange about that. Each to their own though!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I drove a brand new 5 series down to Somerset (from Hertfordshire) on Friday night, my @rse was a bit numb in that after 3.5 hours and that had lovely big comfy seats. You just need to let yourself get used to these things, don't start worrying about your saddle until you have done your bit.

And yes, padded shorts are sensible, give yourself some protection. You don't have to go for skin tight lycra, you can get some pretty good padded under/liner shorts. Check out the Endura ones on Chain Reaction Cycles.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Im just like you, new to mtb and with the same bike. I used a Gel cover for the first couple of months and now im ok. Try one of these:-

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 138c003273
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    thel33ter wrote:
    Basically keep trying saddles till you find one that works for you. Padded shorts are also a must, these are a good budget option.

Those would work ok as undershorts with baggies on top.

These are a better budget option for mountain biking though ;) .
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    thel33ter wrote:

Those would work ok as undershorts with baggies on top.

That's how I use 'em, plus I got a small pair on sale for something like £13 8)

May have to take up that subscription now, looks to be a bargain :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    FatCabbie wrote:
    Im just like you, new to mtb and with the same bike. I used a Gel cover for the first couple of months and now im ok. Try one of these:-

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 138c003273

Don't do this. A saddle needs to fit your sit bones. These things will transfer the pressure to where you don't want it - the soft tissue.
    Just ride and you'll get used to it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dizzyduck
    Thanks for replies. I subscribed to the magazine because it seems like a great offer, with the shorts being £45 RRP themselves!

As for the padded shorts, they seem to be out of stock in my size (XL) and cannot find them anywhere else for a comparable price. Any other suggestions? I do not mind paying a bit more for something of better quality. Wouldn't want to go too far over £60 though.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    The Altura Mayhem's in the offer have a padded liner. ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • dizzyduck
    The Altura Mayhem's in the offer have a padded liner. ;)

that is awesome! may try and get two of them then..
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    You will not regret spending big money on a quality pair of bibshorts.

I'd rather give up my £4,000 carbon full susser than my £100 Endura Bibshorts
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Get a saddle without a cutout, they just put more weight on your ar#e bones causing discomfort. Saddle angle is also crucial.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • paulbox
    8) Nice one!

6 months of MBUK coming my way.
  • montarius
    montarius Posts: 46
    PaulBox wrote:
    8) Nice one!

You need to read the Terms and conditions.

Its a 6 month direct debit but a 12 month contract. So two payments of £21.

So 12 MBUK copies + £40 pair of shorts for £42

You can cancel within 60 days if you dont want to commit to that.
  • paulbox
    Montarius wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:
    8) Nice one!

You need to read the Terms and conditions.

Its a 6 month direct debit but a 12 month contract. So two payments of £21.

So 12 MBUK copies + £40 pair of shorts for £42

You can cancel within 60 days if you dont want to commit to that.
    That's a bit naughty, just went back on to the site and the T&C's aren't exactly easy to find (for me anyway :oops: ).

To be honest, if the shorts are alright I don't mind the two payments to read some good old fashioned biased reporting... :wink: