SW > farringdon

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
The office is on the move from Victoria to Farringdon next week & whilst I've bagged some pennies for extra bike maintenance I'd not like it to cost me massively on time going a little deeper into London.

What route provides the best value for speed, low traffic and safety?

South of Hyde Park on the A4 enjoying the park corner through Picadilly Circus etc.
North of Hyde Park on the A402/A40 through Oxford Street.
A bit of both, cutting through the Park
Other? They all sound like buuusy high traffic routes.
unled2o.jpg

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    What time do you head in in the mornings? The north of Hyde Park route is pretty much the same as my commute last year and its nice in the morning, but in the evenings trying to navigate through Oxford Street when you're in a hurry can be a bit dicey. Just take it easy and the suicidal peds won't be too much hassle.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Oxford Street is one way only now so on your eastward journey you'll need to follow the detour if you go that way. Perhaps your southern route would be the better choice?
  • iPete
    In theory I should arrive around 8:45.

Thanks for the info on Oxford street, maybe ride in that way and out the other.

I ride with Zen so should be perfectly ok but frustrating getting held up with 18 miles home!

I've also realised if I take the southerly route there will be so much more SCR as I normally turn off between Hammersmith and Kensington and eeeevryone goes straight, not any more! :twisted:

Edit: see you have a SL Pro, hows it ride around town?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    Edit: see you have a SL Pro, hows it ride around town?

Lovely, but then its my first road bike so I have little to compare it to! I had some concerns about how delicate it was compared to my bombproof hybrid, but its worked out fine. The wheels need replacing due to some nasty encounters with potholes, but the frame and other components have held up no problem.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There seems to be something wrong with your route as it avoids Embankment. MTFU and come and join the fun :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iPete
    s'pose I can join the embankment on the way home for an extended ride, why not :twisted: