Is this caliper post mount or IS mount?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    it looks like it's IS mount

Why do you want that though, it's garbage.

Would the adaptor work with what?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you looked in the tech links above? or the FAQs?

the answer is there.

But it looks IS
    and no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    Andy B wrote:
    it looks like it's IS mount

Why do you want that though, it's garbage.

Would the adaptor work with what?
    Cause it's in my price range
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Either

A) save up more money & get a decent disc brake (£40 should do it unless you see a decent 2nd hand bargain.) Avid and Shimano make decent cable disc brakes worth spending the money on

B) use V brakes, which are a much better option at this price (£20).
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • sponsoryu
    Andy B wrote:
    Either

A) save up more money & get a decent disc brake (£40 should do it unless you see a decent 2nd hand bargain.) Avid and Shimano make decent cable disc brakes worth spending the money on

B) use V brakes, which are a much better option at this price (£20).

V brakes don't fit my bike
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    What's wrong with your current caliper?
  • sponsoryu
    ibbo68 wrote:
    What's wrong with your current caliper?
    The bike I was putting this on doesn't have brakes
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Budget mechanical disc brakes are generally pants for any thing of road. For around 50 quid you can buy entry level Shimano, Avid Juicy 3 or these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47542
    If you want a mechanical set up have a look at these BB5's which have a good reputation along with spares availability at a price between ebay cheapo mechanicals and entry level hydraulic. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59431
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Totally agree with what everyone's saying here.

Brakes are something to invest in. A decent brand means you'll always be able to get spare pads, and tech support from people on forums like this.

If you're going mechanical, I certainly recommend Avid BB5s. Mine have gone through a right thrashing over the last 2 winters and are still OK (though they have needed stripping right down a couple of times).

If you really can't afford much, there are great bargains on eBay for full hydraulic brakesets.

I've just looked at the disc brake section on eBay and within seconds seen this auction that finishes tonight :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVID-JUICY-THREE- ... 4158656266
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    My neighbour bought that exact brake from the same place for his son's bike...what a F"*k on it was....caliper mount was too thick to fit between the fork mount and disc...returned for refund and because his shop is shut on a Wednesday (day returned item was delivered) it was taken back to sorting office and he seemingly couldn't be bothered to re-arrange delivery or go and collect it, was returned to my neighbour after 2 weeks, then he had to go through paypal for an eventual refund.
  • sponsoryu
    BG2000 wrote:
    Totally agree with what everyone's saying here.

Brakes are something to invest in. A decent brand means you'll always be able to get spare pads, and tech support from people on forums like this.

If you're going mechanical, I certainly recommend Avid BB5s. Mine have gone through a right thrashing over the last 2 winters and are still OK (though they have needed stripping right down a couple of times).

If you really can't afford much, there are great bargains on eBay for full hydraulic brakesets.

I've just looked at the disc brake section on eBay and within seconds seen this auction that finishes tonight :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVID-JUICY-THREE- ... 4158656266

Can't afford £80 atm mate.

I decided to goa different way and look for 2nd hand bikes with fitted disc brakes. Found 1 atm, shimano disk brakes (idk which) but I think it's only the front one - not sure on that though, but the guy wants £50 for the bike which seems ok to me if its good, idk how to define a good disc brake though :3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Basically, cable=bad unless it's an Avid BB5/7 or Shimano.

I've got a bike with cheap cable discs on it, it's now my 'hack' bike. And the brakes are still rubbish. The effort needed to use them is ridiculous, the pad adjust unwinds itself and they just feel horrible. Seriously, get V brakes, or get hydros.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sponsoryu
    My other bikes disks are hydros but uhhh I don't think I can afford it again..

And v brakes won't fit properly so idk, like I say, i'm looking for 2nd hand bikes which disks - one may have hydros eventually x)
  • bails87
    sponsoryu wrote:

And v brakes won't fit properly so idk, like I say, i'm looking for 2nd hand bikes which disks - one may have hydros eventually x)

Keep an eye out in the classifieds on here too. Even something like Tektro Aurigas are a big upgrade from rubbish cables.
    MTB/CX

• sponsoryu
    bails87 wrote:
    sponsoryu wrote:

Keep an eye out in the classifieds on here too. Even something like Tektro Aurigas are a big upgrade from rubbish cables.
    :o

Will have a hunt in there now :3
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sponsoryu wrote:
    My other bikes disks are hydros but uhhh I don't think I can afford it again.
    Are you sure you can afford a second bike then?
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu wrote:
    I've got 5 bikes
  • Anonymous
    sponsoryu wrote:
    sponsoryu wrote:
    I've got 5 bikes
    Impressive :roll:

What I mean is... If you're struggling to find 40 bucks for a brake, are you sure you can afford the rest of it?
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu wrote:
    sponsoryu wrote:
    I've got 5 bikes
    Impressive :roll:

What I mean is... If you're struggling to find 40 bucks for a brake, are you sure you can afford the rest of it?
    If you can show me one for 40bucks (but in england) I'll buy it. The rest of the bike is built.
  • Anonymous
    For the love of...

If you CANNOT afford a brake worth having right now, SAVE for a bit. You've said yourself you have 5 bikes, go ride one of them for a bit, for chrissakes.
  • sponsoryu
    For the love of...

If you CANNOT afford a brake worth having right now, SAVE for a bit. You've said yourself you have 5 bikes, go ride one of them for a bit, for chrissakes.
    umadbro?

Only 3 of my bikes are rideable, you just told me I can't afford $40, when a couple of posts before that I was spending £50.

Simple mathematics
  • Anonymous
    What? You're making even less sense now
  • sponsoryu
    Yeah my bad - I thought I posted a brake I saw for £50 which would of made this wrong
    What I mean is... If you're struggling to find 40 bucks for a brake,

However, I'm struggling to find a brake for $40 not $40 for a brake.
  • Anonymous
    Well, advice still stands. If you can't afford anything except dodgy brakes, now, save up until you can buy something worth having.
    You're not exactly stuck for a bike to ride are you?

Oh, and quit mixing up £s and $, they mean completely different things :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I bought a pair of juicy5's for £40 after placing a wanted on here.....

There are OK cable disc brakes (few good ones) but that is not one of them, an OK set off ebay used should costs you about £20 delivered, that's what I just sold some Shimano ones for (levers, cables, callipers) on ebay. I think my daughter has some Tektro's that she'd let go for about that.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sponsoryu
    Well, advice still stands. If you can't afford anything except dodgy brakes, now, save up until you can buy something worth having.
    You're not exactly stuck for a bike to ride are you?

Oh, and quit mixing up £s and $, they mean completely different things :roll:
    lol, I was stating £50 is more than $40 I wasn't mixxing them up.

But yeah I don't know what a good disc brake is that's why idk what to buy, for example

From this thread, I learn that hydros are better and cables are shit - but I now see this pair of hydros, with adapter etc for £50
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tektro-Auriga-com ... 2a0f8507bd

And idk if they are good or not.

£50 for 2.. so £25 each, and the cable one was £20, so in my head it seems like it's going to be crap but idk
  • sponsoryu
    I bought a pair of juicy5's for £40 after placing a wanted on here.....

There are OK cable disc brakes (few good ones) but that is not one of them, an OK set off ebay used should costs you about £20 delivered, that's what I just sold some Shimano ones for (levers, cables, callipers) on ebay. I think my daughter has some Tektro's that she'd let go for about that.

Simon
    You got a link to the same ones as your daughters? plz
  • bails87
    I think the £/$ thing came from someone saying "40 bucks".

Anyway, it's irrelevant, so play nicely :wink:

Tektro hydros tend to be basic, with a 'wooden' lever feel. But still a world away from cheap cables.
    MTB/CX

• sponsoryu
    bails87 wrote:
    I think the £/$ thing came from someone saying "40 bucks".

Anyway, it's irrelevant, so play nicely :wink:

Tektro hydros tend to be basic, with a 'wooden' lever feel. But still a world away from cheap cables.

Cheers mate, I'm gonna keep looking and see
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I've used those Tektro's on a Rockhopper SL 09 and I really liked the feel of them.

That seems a bargain for any set of discs, so go for those, they will be a million times better than whatever cable ones you linked to.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy