chain slippin / jumpin , is there an easy fix

speedy21
speedy21 Posts: 153
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all, just wandering if theres an easy fix for this and what causes it to start with , it didnt only happen going up hill it happened a couple of times on the flat aswell when i wasnt putting much effort/power into the pedals,i thing soe gears were worse than others , is it a slack chain or something like that maybe,
thanks for reading anyway , its not to bad but would obviously be better if it didnt happen :idea:

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Could be one or many of several things....

Gears need adjusting

Mech hanger is bent

Chain is worn out

Chainrings are worn out

Cassette is worn out

Stiff chain links...

How old are the components?

Is the mech hanger straight?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • speedy21
    all new components andy only had a couple of rides but could have bumped the hanger il have to check in the light, oh saying that do you think it could be the cable stretching because theyre so new ?
    i assumed it was slipping over the teeth on the same cog that its allready on but after reading ur suggestions it makes more sense that it maybe slipping off to the side??
    although it didnt go onto a different cog tho it just slipped n cluncked n stayed in the same gear i think
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Could be cable stretch if it's a new bike/new components

If you have given the rear mech a knock you may have damaged the hanger

Shops usually offer a free tune up service for new bikes after about a month, the same may apply to new components

Pop it back to the shop for it's tune up, or have a read of www.Parktool.com website for how to set your gears

if you have bent the hanger buy a new one from the shop you got the bike from, or the nearest dealer of that brand
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • speedy21
    thanks andy ive got half a chance now i know what faults im looking for, appreciate the help, thanks very much for the replies
  • make sure to check that your higher limit stop is not too far out. I had this exact same problem myself, it wasn't massively out (not enough to leave the cassette) but just enough to pull the chain off the smallest sprockets under tension.