OT - Replacing a moulded plug

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
So the plug on the vacuum cleaner has a loose wire in it.

It's one of the those moulded plug affairs.

Are these replaceable? Any issues I should be aware of is it just a simple case of wiring on a new plug?

I was a bit suprised when I cut the cord to find only 2 inner wires, no earth. Is this normal?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It's simple. Just stick a new plug on it. There's no earth wire 'cos it's double-insulated (plastic shell, no conductive parts accessible to the dribbling public).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just cut the moulded one off and fit a normal plug.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis wrote:
    It's simple. Just stick a new plug on it. There's no earth wire 'cos it's double-insulated (plastic shell, no conductive parts accessible to the dribbling public).

But I wouldn't advise using one of them when you're getting rid of the water on your kitchen floor from a defrosting fridge. Apparently it's not a good idea to use a hair dryer to defrost your fridge either. Although it will start to work quickly, you might experience a hair-standing-on-end moment before you die. Well, that's what an old girlfriend told me....
  • davis wrote:

But I wouldn't advise using one of them when you're getting rid of the water on your kitchen floor from a defrosting fridge. Apparently it's not a good idea to use a hair dryer to defrost your fridge either. Although it will start to work quickly, you might experience a hair-standing-on-end moment before you die. Well, that's what an old girlfriend told me....

Nor is it a good idea to use a carving knife to prise sheets of ice off the freezer walls, in the misplaced hope it will speed up the defrosting process. Because it is very easy to slip and pierce the lining of the freezer, resulting in a rapid expulsion of compressed coolant. And one very knackered freezer.

So I have heard, anyway.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Friend tried to do the above, but the slip didn't liberate the refrigerant but his own blood..... Frrezer had defrosted itself by the time he got back from casualty.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Greg66 wrote:
    davis wrote:

Nor is it a good idea to use a carving knife to prise sheets of ice off the freezer walls, in the misplaced hope it will speed up the defrosting process. Because it is very easy to slip and pierce the lining of the freezer, resulting in a rapid expulsion of compressed coolant. And one very knackered freezer.

So I have heard, anyway.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one to have done that :lol:
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    When you fit the new plug, make sure the cord grip tightens around the thick outer sheath of the cable (i.e. not the thin inner wires).
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    yep just snip off the old one an replace with a "normal" plug make sure the wires are the correct way around an as someone else mentioned make sure the grip grabs the outta cable jacket an not the internal (yellow/green, blue and brown) wires
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • As others have said, it's an easy job to replace with a normal plug. Have replaced US moulded plugs with regular UK ones when bought chargers etc. from Hong Kong.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    As others have said, it's an easy job to replace with a normal plug. Have replaced US moulded plugs with regular UK ones when bought chargers etc. from Hong Kong.

Replacing the fuse with one appropriate to the cable, I trust?

Cheers,
    W.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If you ever attempt to strip wires with your teeth because there's no wire stripper to hand, do make sure the other end isn't connected to the mains before you do so...
  • tailwindhome
    Should be an easy job to do.

Why is it I haven't changed a plus for about 20 years? Are the moulded plugs 'better' than the old style replaceable plugs or do appliances die long before the plug ever does??
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kelsen wrote:
    If you ever attempt to strip wires with your teeth because there's no wire stripper to hand, do make sure the other end isn't connected to the mains before you do so...

Holy sheeeeeet! Also make sure that your teeth are solid. I've lost fillings doing this.

Wire strippers ftw!
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Should be an easy job to do.

Why is it I haven't changed a plus for about 20 years? Are the moulded plugs 'better' than the old style replaceable plugs or do appliances die long before the plug ever does??
    Moulded plugs are better because they have a strain relief where the cord exits the plug. This is especially important on cords that can get tugged - like on a hoover or iron.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I believe legislation states that all new appliances must have moulded plugs now. I think it may even be due to one of Esther Rantsonandonandon's campaigns a fair few years back.

Sausages!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I believe legislation states that all new appliances must have moulded plugs now.

quite true

i recently did my C&G PAT testing course an this was one of the question...waste of time really, the course i mean
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    davis wrote:

So I have heard, anyway.

See I've heard about someone who's got a 'friend' who's done this many a time, but never known anyone who actually really did it...

I defrost my freezer with a rolling pin (hammer) and a normal knife (chisel)...
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    davis wrote:

So I have heard, anyway.

A housemate at uni did it, too...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm confused....

Wouldn't this:

MouldRemoverSmall.jpg

be a better idea?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'm confused....

Wouldn't this:

MouldRemoverSmall.jpg

be a better idea?

:?

Kieran, what's your day job? Well, don't give it up, unless you're a writer of stand-up material...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    kelsen wrote:
    I'm confused....

Wouldn't this:

MouldRemoverSmall.jpg

be a better idea?

:?

Kieran, what's your day job? Well, don't give it up, unless you're a writer of stand-up material...

just tell me how loud you groaned :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • As others have said, it's an easy job to replace with a normal plug. Have replaced US moulded plugs with regular UK ones when bought chargers etc. from Hong Kong.

Replacing the fuse with one appropriate to the cable, I trust?

Cheers,
    W.

Nah, if you put a the right fuse in this far eastern kit they keep blowing. Bit of tin foil around a regular fuse, or an old wire coat hanger cut to size prevents this.

I'm joking children - please don't try this at home for gawd sake.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Greg66 wrote:
    davis wrote:

So I have heard, anyway.

:D
    Reminds me of when i moved into an houseshare in about 2003-4.
    Cor! I thought, that FF could do with a defrost.
    Typical blokeness kicked in, and out came the tools....
    ...and so did the coolant.
    Several hours passed, and my new housemates came home from work.
    Hi, I'm Simon, and I've a bit of a confession to make....
    :oops:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The last fridge defrosting was done in under an hour by "a friend", he emptied the fridge and put it in the bath and turned the shower up to temp 11 and washed the ice out of the icebox. All he has to do now is explain the scratches on the bath to the landlady when the time comes. :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tis easy, but then i am a spark.

as others have said make sure strain releif is tightened on the outer sheath. do not ring the flex with a knife you WILL mark the inner insualtion. use a pair of side cutters and cut down the cable pull apart and then trim the outer neatly with the cutters.

the inner cores need to be stripped with the correct tool, NOT the cutters, although it can be done with them you WILL scar the copper or remiove strands.

easy way for people to remember where the inner cores go to.

BLue = Bottom Left
    BRown =Bottom Right
    sTripey = Top Ok the green and yellow isn't actually called stripey its a CPC ( circuit protective conductor)

most modern appliances are double insualted so won't have a CPC , even some metal cased appliances can be double insulated.

as for fuses, yes this protects the cable not the appliance.

a Fridge for example needs a 13A fuse as the start up current exceeds the 3A you would expecrt to fit by simple power Calculation I=P/V

colout televisions also used to use this rule .

It was a big mistake sending an apprentice with a grudge to do pAT on a high profile job :lol: OMG that was 20 years ago now.

Not all new appliances are fitted with moulded plugs , most are, but not all. it is not part of the CE requirements either. Most manufacturers fit moulded plugs as it stops them being sued by idiots who electrocute themselves.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:0,s:0

have seen similar
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    tis easy, but then i am a spark

Job done.

To clarify I knew how to change a plug (we did it in school 2 decades ago). I wasn't sure if there were some safety or compliance issues involved in replacing a moulded plug with an ordinary one. I thought I may have to source a replacement cable & plug

An old rusty pair of wire cutters,used with care, did the job ok
  • tis easy, but then i am a spark

Job done.

To clarify I knew how to change a plug (we did it in school 2 decades ago). I wasn't sure if there were some safety or compliance issues involved in replacing a moulded plug with an ordinary one. I thought I may have to source a replacement cable & plug

An old rusty pair of wire cutters,used with care, did the job ok

they sound better than some of the tools i see on site regularly :D
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png