tubeless conversion.....help please!

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Am trying to convert my Ritchey rims to tubeless with the help of the Joe's No Flat rim strips

Last year I had a little success going ghetto with an old brompton tube cut in half and a crossmark UST... Was ok for a bit but went down after a few weeks due to the valve being too wide at the bottom...and I dont want to drill out my rims.

I can get nothing to inflate with the joe's. Everything is on as described and I am using a track pump....but it all seems far too loose between the tyre and the strip to create any sort of seal.

Any thoughts??
Thank you!

Comments

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    try a compresser had to do this on my front but rear was ok with track pump...
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Put 3 to 4 layers of insulation tape down on the rim bed below the strip. Make sure you buy decent stuff as cheap insulation tape has glue that goes off really easily. Should build up the thickness and make la tighter seal.
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    Apparently this works really well
    115739823.jpg

'Fix It'
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Thanks guys...although not sure how the putty would help!
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    Mccraque wrote:
    Thanks guys...although not sure how the putty would help!
    I missread your problem ;]
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Inflate tyre on rim with a tube at 50psi for 24hrs to bed-in the tyre

Once the tube's removed, use plenty of washing-up-liquid bubbles on the inside of the rim and the tyre bead to lubricate everything

As has been stated, building-up the rim-strip can help

Use a compressor or CO2 cartridge to seat the bead (you'll then need to remove the COD and reinflate with air though)