Stripped Thread In Giant Brake Caliper ??? How to fix ????

cpk1
cpk1 Posts: 175
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have managed to strip the thread in a Giant MPH3 caliper, i have a few ideas of how to sort it : Using a helicoil, but as it is only about 6mm thick would this work ? Using chemical metal to fill the hole and re-drill and tap it, how good is chemical metal and would it withstand been used on the caliper under constant braking ? Or open the hole out to the next size allen bolt which is M8 and tap it out to suit, as im sure the allen bolts are M6 standard ?
Any other ideas that anyone can come up with would be great.
Trail bike: Kona Coiler 06, Rockshox domain 318is, juicy 7s, sun rims s-type.
Commute bike: Dawes Watoga.

Comments

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    can you not cut the helicoil down....how long is the helicoil you have got.

i would just drill and tap to the next size up M8

not sure chemical metal would hold.
  • cpk1
    Il have to see at work tomorrow how long the helicoil is but im sure it could be cut down, but i think it would be easier just to re-tap to M8, and id just have to be careful not to strip that.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Longer bolt and a nut on the end?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    there is no a huge aount of metal on the caliper so rilling next size up or fitting helicoil may not work - going to M8 you would also need to drill the fork and risk ruining that.

the suggestion of a lnger bolt and nut may be youre best option; you may have clearance issue between bolt and disc rotor so fit a hex head bolt in opposite drirectio nas the head will be thnner, the nut going where the hex head would be.
  • cpk1
    no clearence to put longer bolt and nut, i have managed to use an M6 helicoil that has been threadlocked in (high strength) so all been good this will hold without any probs, Thanks