Track beginners class

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
£20 at the AWSOME Newport velodrome, I'm signed up, starts tomorrow night. Wish me luck Commuting Compadres!

(this is where I find out how old and fat I really am)
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Have fun..you'll be scared at first at the top of the banking. Oh and don't ride round the banking slowly...gravity WILL take over very quickly. :D
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Good luck & good value, is that all in or do you pay for hiring shoes etc on top?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    It's great fun!

I think bike hire is £3 (pinarello's).....you'll need Look Delta cleats on your shoes if you wish to clip in otherwise trainers are fine (toestraps available). No shoe hire as such.

Remember to take a note of the bike number, so that you can get the same bike when you go back for more.

Take loads of water because the air is really dry in their - couple of litre bottles should do it and take some food, banana and flapjack for between sessions.

When you go in, their are seats and stuff in the centre, you can leave your bag their safely. Take/wear a jogging suit as well - some overclothes as it can be a bit chilly in their when off the bike.

Wear trainers when moving about in the centre bit as the floor is very polished and slippy with cleats.

Your family can go and watch in the stands, but you have to get permission to take photo's.

Above all else, enjoy!
  • SimonAH
    Abso 'king lutely fantastic! The top of that banking makes the sphincter twitch more than a touch first couple of laps, but amazing fun. I spent an hour and a half with a huge shit-eating grin on my face! Roll on next Monday!

• SimonAH
    Thanks for all the advice by the way, spot-on.

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sweet - glad you enjoyed!

I think I need to re-qualify for racing as I did not race after getting my ticket - has been over a year now and I would want to practice before I competed.

When you get into it and start dipping under the "mobile roadblocks" on the line, it is absolutely nuts! They will make you do peel off's and zig zagging in and out of the peloton. may favourite was the half lap sprint to the back of the pack - rag it for half a lap and then get a nice draft back to the front of the pack. Was not a big fan of the launching oher people - i.e. pulling people past you by the hand.....nightmare with some people!

The best bit is if you do someone on the banking exit very low down, the speed and "ping" out of the turn is immense!!!!

***Awaits pics of Simonah at full chat on the banks!