(My First) Old Steel Project

rja
rja Posts: 78
edited April 2011 in Your road bikes
Here it is, nothing special when you compare it to the likes of the Cervelos/Wilier/S-Works etc.

A project that I started as I had a bit of time on my hands.

As it was 6 weeks ago.

DSCN3540.jpg

And Yesterday.

DSCN3607.jpg

Frame: Peugeot (Reynolds 531)
Forks: Peugeot (Reynolds 531)Bars:
Stem: Unknown - Quill Stem
Headset: Stronglight A9 Black
Bar Tape: Charge Ubend

Front Shifters/Brake Levers: Campagnolo Veloce
Front Caliper: Campagnolo Veloce
Rear Shifters/Brake Lever: Campagnolo Veloce
Rear Caliper: Campagnolo Veloce

Cables: Campagnolo Ergopower
Front Mech: Campagnolo Veloce
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Veloce

Seat: Charge Spoon Brown
Seat Post: Kalloy
Seat Post Clamp: Kalloy

Cranks: Campagnolo Ultratorque
Chainring(s): Campagnolo 10sp
Chain: Campagnolo 10sp
Cassette: Campagnolo 10sp
Pedals: Shimano R540 (not shown)
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Ultratorque

Wheelset: Campagnolo Khamsin - DeStickered

Finish: Powder Coated

With thanks to everyone on the Workshop Forum for helping me out when I called upon them, and thanks to my girlfriend for allowing me the time and use of the dining room as a workshop.

Rich.

Comments

• hairyleg
    hairyleg Posts: 134
    nice job :D
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Nice but saddle, reposition levers, rotate bars forward, done.
  • rja
    Thanks - I'm pleased.

Ha ha, I thought the saddle may divide opinion, for the price I thought it was alright. My original remit was to build a commuter bike, cheapishly.

I then got a bit carried away (ie. groupset) but I found few options for an attractive brown leather saddle (Brooks being the exception, but I wimped out with cost).

Re: The Bars - They are more forward than that now, the 'finished' photo was before I had taken it for a spin - hence no pedals too!

Evil Laugh - You'd be surprised at how much I looked at your steel project during my build. (Kept popping up in the 'Steel Refurb' Search results!
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    That's a really classy build.

You say it doesn't compare to the Cervelos/ S-works posted here, but frankly they all look the same. Visually yours wins.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Nice job. I think white & brown is a good combo. Did you strip and paint the frame yourself?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • rja
    pbt150 - Thanks, don't get me wrong I love the Cervelos, who doesn't? But this was something that I had the chance at putting my mark on. Loved every minute of it too!
    I see you have a steel bike on the side - gotta be the way forward!

Carl - I looked into doing it myself, but decided I'd have it powdercoated instead of sprayed. The guy who did the powder coating also did shot blasting and it made no difference to the price of the job so I let him do it. The 2 things that I didn't do myself were 1) Powdercoating and 2) Facing of the Bottom Bracket Shell. - LBS.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I just meant the angle of the saddle.

Nowt wrong with the charge.

I hope you enjoy your new bike. It's very satisfying doing something like this. Mine was actually quite a similar process, a pub/shop bike that spiralled out of all control. :lol:

Anyway, looks great. Maybe some veloflexes in the future?
  • very nice bike mate looks alot better awsome job
    enigma echo
    giant trance x
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    Nice job
  • rja
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    I just meant the angle of the saddle.

Nowt wrong with the charge.

I hope you enjoy your new bike. It's very satisfying doing something like this. Mine was actually quite a similar process, a pub/shop bike that spiralled out of all control. :lol:

Anyway, looks great. Maybe some veloflexes in the future?

Ah, I see!! Sorry-crossed wires. Tell me about it, the thing is I got a reasonable deal with the groupset and then I kind of had to keep everything to a similar standard (wheels) Very easy to get carried away! But then again it's great fun.

Veloflexes a possibility need to give my debit card a breather first! :wink:
  • rja
    Wamas, jb & hairyleg:

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    rja wrote:
    Here it is, nothing special when you compare it to the likes of the Cervelos/Wilier/S-Works etc.

A project that I started as I had a bit of time on my hands.

As it was 6 weeks ago.

DSCN3540.jpg

And Yesterday.

DSCN3607.jpg

With thanks to everyone on the Workshop Forum for helping me out when I called upon them, and thanks to my girlfriend for allowing me the time and use of the dining room as a workshop.

Rich.

Very nice, good subtle restore.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Lovely job, well done :)

Must admit I'm moving more towards the elegant lines of older steel frames. A guy that I ride with has a Dave Moulton bike that he's restored and its absolutely beautiful next to everone elses carbon look-a-likes