Fox Shock top bush, ceased?

wollow007
wollow007 Posts: 118
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guy's

Got a Commencal Super 4 carbon 2010 model.

I think the shock is a Fox RPL which appears to be working OK, however I did notice that the bottom bush and reducer allows the shock to pivot, basically they act as a bearing at the bottom of the shock.

The top bush and reducer are stiff to a point where there is no pivot at this point. The pin running through the frame and shock acts as a pivot at this point.

The question is should both top and bottom bush assemblies be free to turn and act as bearings and if so do you think the top one is ceased?

Cheers Guys :lol:
http://www.clivenutley.com

Orange 5 Pro
Giant Trance X0
Mondraker Dune RR

Comments

• the lower bushes on my specialized pitch only move by maybe 2 or 3 degrees, but the top one pivots by almost 90 degrees. it depends on the frame design, but i very much doubt if they have seized. easiest way to check is to undo and remove the lower bolt and try swinging the shock up and down on the upper bushings.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sounds exactly like it's worn, yup. They're disposable items and can wear very fast, luckily they're also dead easy to change. If the pin's doing all the pivoting (ie moving against the frame) that's not good.
    Uncompromising extremist