Cassette Skip, One Cog Only.

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just changed the chain on my brothers bike, changed it just before it has got to .75 on the wear indicator. The chain shifts up and down fine, it's coming off the chain rings fine but it's skipping on the 6th cog up from the bottom and only the 6th cog. Strange thing is my brother said he doesn't use it any more than the other cogs.

New cassette needed?

Any one else had this, only skipping on one cog? Same thing happened to me last time I changed my chain, although mine was the 5th cog up.

I have another sram cassette that has a 23t on it, and out of curiosity would I have shifting problems if I replaced the 21t on my brothers cassette with the 23t of the old one. Old cassette is the one that had a 5th cog skip but not the others.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    By skipping do you mean skipping the cog, or slipping on the cog. Sounds like not indexed properly if the former.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jedi_master
    I'll double check the indexing later or tomorrow, although it is shifting up and down fine. I would say it's slipping forward more than jumping.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Petra cycles do do individual cogs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jedi_master
    Just looked, they don't have individual cogs for sram cassettes.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Yep... I had this... was just a worn sprocket... new cassette time I'm afraid... :(
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just looked, they don't have individual cogs for sram cassettes.

in that case new cassette time as i dont know of anyone doing separates for sram.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jedi_master
    Bit annoying that only one cog has worn. Oh well, these things happen.