How to stiffen up fork?

Tom85
Tom85 Posts: 13
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all, i recently got back in to mtb's or atleast im trying to. iv bought a commencal ramones, it came with the rock shox recon 327 u-turn fork, it doesnt seem to be a bad fork just very soft ( for my weight anyway :D ) to cut a long story short was just wondering what would be the cheapest most effective way of stiffening them up? would heavier oil do the job or would i need different springs?

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    air or coil? I'm guessing coil... Get a heavier spring. Thicker oil will just make them feel crap. How much sag are you getting?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Tom85
    They are coil and im getting 20mm sag when they are on full 140mm travel.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    you need more sag if anything. more like 35mm. How much do you weigh?
  • Tom85
    just under 16st, suppose the easiest option would be to loose a few pounds,lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doesn't sound too soft if you are only getting that little sag.
    Are they bottoming out a lot?
    Reducing the rebound damping (speeding up the return) might help, as if it is too high they might not be returning to full travel between bumps.
    Or are they just nice and plush and not like the ones you were used to before? I got used to some awful sticky elastomer jobs and at first decent forks felt too cushy until I learnt to enjoy not being jerked around all over the place.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tom85
    they did bottom out a few times when hitting a certain drop, im going back up there tomorrow so ill speed up the rebound see if that helps, also can relate to the second half of your post the suntours on my old gt feel almost rigid compared to these on the new bike. cheers for your replies guys.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The rebound won't help if it's just over one large drop, only really for a succession of small bumps, but that sounds ok - occasional bottoming just means all the suspension is being used.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tom85 wrote:
    They are coil and im getting 20mm sag when they are on full 140mm travel.

how are you measuring the sag?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tom85
    ye the drop is the end of a run theres a little jump and some large roots leading upto it, i just checked and the rebound was almost fully screwed in ( at its slowest) so hopefully that was the problem. nicklouse because the forks have adjustable travel one of the stanchions has the travel marked on it 90mm - 140mm, sat on the bike with both feet off the ground at full travel and they sank to the 120mm mark. hopefully that makes sense.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is not the best way to measure sag.

you measure sag in your normal riding position. so maybe standing in the attack position may be a bit more suitable.

stiffer spring is what i guess will be needed. BUT if you are only bottoming out on one drop dont worry.

too much rebound can cause shocks/forks to pack down. (reducing length) maybe a little more compression damping (if possible) could also help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    dont sound too soft too me... maybe just need to get used to them...
    I like bikes and stuff