Stans Crest + Nobby Nic Evo 2011 TL Ready

ADL
ADL Posts: 138
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone succeeded making these two work together?
I was going to run it with tube and Hope cloth tape for now, but I can't even mount the tyre on one side of the rim. There is bunch of threads on NoTubes forum with similar complaints, and many guys ended up with using levers, which I wouldn't really like to do...

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Have seen it done, but they are insanely tight. The newer Stans rims are slightly bigger to aid inflation, whilst the new Schwalbe tyres are slightly smaller! I'd stick with the old schwalbes, which can be had cheap and go up a treat!
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    No problems with Flows and Nobby Nics 2011. Fit by hand and use a tyre lever on the last few inch. Trick is to get the beads into the well of the rim to allow for those few extra mm
  • i've got a 2011 nobby nick fitted on a stans flow rim tubeless without any issues. it was a bit of a pain to get it on the rim, had to use 4 or 5 tyre levers, but once on it went up very easily. so easily in fact, that i managed to do it with a normal hand pump!

the crest may be a little bit harder because it isn't quite as wide etc, but i should still think you will be able to get it on with some good quality tyre levers if you really need to.
  • ADL
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    Has anyone tried to use soapy water for lubrication or fitting the tyre to a standard rim to stretch it a bit?
    Did you use a cloth tame or Stans yellow tape, I guess the yellow tape is a little bit thinner?
    I'd stick with the old schwalbes, which can be had cheap and go up a treat!
    They were not that expensive either, 50 quid for a pair from http://www.actionsports.de
  • I've got 2011 Nics fitted to Flows. Used yellow tape with 120ml of sealant in each one.

Didn't need too much effort to fit if I'm honest. I mean obviously they don't just roll on, but I only needed to use 1 lever.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If I didn't know better I'd have sworn that the 2010 Evo NN was a tubeless-ready tyre, it went on so easy and sealed no bother. But you're not the first to say that about 2011s, some people have had trouble with 819s as well.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    I fitted racing raplhs to crest rims this week. Used the yellow stans tape and also did the washing up liquid. It had to use tyre levers for the last few inches of one tyre but the other one did go on with some force.

They do fit but its pretty tight.
  • ADL
    Northwind wrote:
    If I didn't know better I'd have sworn that the 2010 Evo NN was a tubeless-ready tyre, it went on so easy and sealed no bother. But you're not the first to say that about 2011s, some people have had trouble with 819s as well.
    From what I've been able to find, Schwalbe made these 2011 TL-ready tyres a bit smaller to make them seal better, hence the problems with tubeless rims.

So I think I'll replace the cloth tape with Yellow tape and try again with some soupy water...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, I'd use the yellow tape anyway, it's just as good as cloth tape and slightly lighter so no reason not to (or, if you don't have yellow tape, just use some good quality electric tape)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CraigXXL
    I don't think the 2011 tyres are any smaller but the grey bead on the 2010 tyres have been covered with a soft black rubber presumably to create a better seal. Fitted a 2010 and 2011 today and both require thesame effort, same as CWNT with just one lever. Both inflated just as easily as the other although I have use of a compressor.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd say the 2011s are definitely smaller. On Crests the old ones go straight up with a track pump anyway and definitely don't require levers. Can't be bothered with the new ones myself!
  • ADL
    CraigXXL wrote:
    I don't think the 2011 tyres are any smaller but the grey bead on the 2010 tyres have been covered with a soft black rubber presumably to create a better seal.
    That's the thread: http://bit.ly/fdBNLj
    Got mail from Schwalbe,

The new 2011 Tubeless ready tires ( NONI 2.1 and RARA 2.1 ) are smaller in diameter,
    They are smaller but within the standard, and fit on "normal rims" within the standard.
  • CraigXXL
    Seems to be a big difference between mounting them with tubes and without as well as type of rim tape used. Like I said I had no problems with Flows, yellow rim tape and 2011 Nobby Nics 2.4. These have been mounted tubed to ensure the tape is well seated and tubeless as they are now. I have these fitted to 3 of my wheels and not had a problem, if you check the Evil Sovereign link in my signature you will see that has been fitted with two of them. I can only assume the Crest is a fraction bigger in diameter or the well is slightly shallower.
  • ADL
    Can it be different with NN 2.1? Anyway, I'm gonna get the yellow tape and try it again.

PS
    The Sovereign is massively awesome.
  • CraigXXL
    I wouldn't have thought the 2.1 would be any different as the mould dimension would have already have been calculated and the tooling set up for that diameter. If anything I would say it would be the rim that differs.

Thanks the Sovereign is great to ride too.
  • ADL
    So I mounted the tyres pretty easily with yellow tape and a tube. I used soapy water as a tyre lube and one Park TL1 tyre lever. Inflated very easily as well with a mini pump. For sure, using a lever isn't that good especially for lightweight rims, but apparently it's the only option with this tyre+rim combo.