Rough Handlebar Movement

northtrack
northtrack Posts: 77
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys, got my bike from the shed today, not been on it since before xmas, noticed that the handlebar movement from left to right sounds rough, can't remember if this is normal or not.

Bike I have is a Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2009,

Evertime I clean the bike I use muc-off but I don't tend to spray around the bearing areas, I rinse the bike using a hosepipe on light spray.

Theres no griding or anything just feels a little rough (you can also hear it slightly), theres no play in anything and it doesn't feel tight.

Should I be worried?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like time to service or replace the headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • northtrack
    northtrack Posts: 77
    edited April 2011
    thanks, not really done much ridin on it tbh, but going out on Sunday so will see how it feels, might just be with not being used.

Might drop in Leisure Lakes and get a price if it gets worse.

Any idea on how often these need servicing/replacing?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    When they get rough ;-)
  • supersonic wrote:
    When they get rough ;-)

lol i was looking for a life span reply :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to say really! I only tend to look at mine as part of a routine strip down, fork change or when they feel a bit rough.

Some can last years without any maintenance at all. As a rough guide, I'd look at the bearings every six months.
  • ok cheers will get em looked at, don't fancy doing the job myself :)

Hope the cost isnt too high :shock:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy enough job, cost depends on the headset, if it's just loose bearing, new bearings are just a few pounds, whole new headset under £20.
    All you need to replace the bearings is a few allen keys or multitool, some grease and probably less than half an hour.
    Parktools have a good how to do it page.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools