This is a sealed cartridge hub but is it screwed?

Ransaka
Ransaka Posts: 474
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hub is making a horrid grinding noise when freewheeling and only when freewheeling. Vid (poor I'm afraid) here of the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNaPTRSaWmc

This is what it looks like:
Hub1.jpg

Hub2.jpg

According to Park Tools the bearings aren't servicable (obvisouly since they're in sealed cartridges). Is the noise becasue the bearings have gone or is it juts grit has managed to get in between the freehub and the hub shell? I'm fairly sure it's grit but I don't see how to remove the freehub.

Any ideas or is it new hub time?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only thing you can do is strip it and take a look. Could be a damaged freewheel pawl.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new bearings in the body then.

but it odes not sound that bad.

maybe the pawls and springs need a look at.

open it up and have a look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ransaka
    Without wanting to sound like a total noob, I have got the axle half out but it will come no further. I have undone the non-drive side nut and removed it and have removed the 2mm grub screw on the drive side (not that this appears to do anything) but the axle comes half way out of the drive side but no further. What very obvious thing am I missing?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Any markings on the hub to identify it? You usuallu have to bash the axle out.
  • Ransaka
    supersonic wrote:
    Any markings on the hub to identify it? You usuallu have to bash the axle out.

Sadly not as it's the stock hub that came with the bike (2010 Pitch Comp) and it doesn't list the brand on the spec.
  • nicklouse
    Ransaka wrote:
    Without wanting to sound like a total noob, I have got the axle half out but it will come no further. I have undone the non-drive side nut and removed it and have removed the 2mm grub screw on the drive side (not that this appears to do anything) but the axle comes half way out of the drive side but no further. What very obvious thing am I missing?

try getting out to the other side. most axles pass out through the disc side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ransaka
    I don't think it can fit out the disc side due to a flange on the axle that appears to hold the drive side bearing cartridge in place and the nut (which also doesn't want to move).
    Hub3.jpg

This is as far as the axle comes out with encouragement on the drive side. If needs bashing out I'll do it tomorrow when my missus isn't asleep upstairs.

Hub4.jpg
  • nicklouse
    get the bearing off . then push it through.
  • Ransaka
    Ignore this reply, being a noob.
  • Ransaka
    OKay, giving up for tonight, will post in the morning with a photo of what appears to be the next problem in getting the sodding axle out.

Thanks for your help guys.
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    Try and see if you can fit a 5mm allen key within the axle and turn the driveside locknut off?

With most sealed bearing hubs you take a cap(such as hope) or unscrew some sort of cap off and the freehub body just slides out.
  • Ransaka
    I've got the axle off now by tapping it through the disc side. Now I have this:

Hub5.jpg

No allen key fits the centre as it's too wide. Do I need some sort of special tool (I know I appear to be a special tool at the moment)?

Or is it the washer type looking thing with the two small opposing cut outs around the edge that needs undoing somehow?
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    If you have the two bearings out just get new ones using the number on the side, like 6000/6001, and use the old ones to tap the new ones in straight,

If you need the freehub off it will be a 10mm allen key or possibly an 11mm and it just turns off anti-clockwise.

I worked on a sun disc jockey job which had a squeeky bearing, like really high pitched....there was no play in the hub but it was worn just enough to make this squeek. New bearings in and it was smooth as ever. Freehub bodies like your one aren't servicable so you would need a new one if you think that is the problem.
  • Ransaka
    Okay.

I don't think it's the bearings, sounds like maybe some grit has gotten into the pawls or something, there's no play just a bit of a noise when it freewheels. I'll live with it for now until next payday and then drop it into the LBS for a look at then.

Thanks all, help very much appreciated.
  • get some new bearings anyways, as said, get the code of the side of the current ones, can get cheap ones on ebay for a coupl eof quid, (what ever bearings you get, use a fine point and pop the rubber seal off and pack some more grease inthere, as there is generally very little on cheaper bearings)

could be a 10/11/12mm allen key to removethe hub body, normally quite tight! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    Ransaka wrote:
    I've got the axle off now by tapping it through the disc side. Now I have this:

Hub5.jpg

No allen key fits the centre as it's too wide. Do I need some sort of special tool (I know I appear to be a special tool at the moment)?

Or is it the washer type looking thing with the two small opposing cut outs around the edge that needs undoing somehow?
    have a look from the otherside.
    put two allen keys together to measure the size you need. eg. a 5 and a 6 will mean you need an 11mm key. (7/16")
  • Ransaka
    I shall do that next time I take it apart as I had aleady reassembled it and decided to live it for this week.

However, this morning it's now not making any unusual noise at all. :? Maybe a bit of grit that has come loose?

If it starts again I'll see what size allen key I need and take it to bits. Thanks for all of the help regardless folks, it's nice to try and do it yourself rather than have to take it to a shop but I couldn't do things first time round without the help of knowledgable folks like yourselves. :oops:
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I think its probably an 11mm allen key in there.