Stolen bike under the Cycle 2 Work scheme

ciaran11
ciaran11 Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in MTB stolen
Hi All, I bought a Felt Compulsion 2 last year on the cycle 2 work scheme. After enjoying it for two months it was stolen from outside work.

The Bike was secured using the company bike rack (2 inch steal bar with a pad lock) and the theft was caught on CCTV.

The down side is I never got it back and hadn't got around to getting it insured.

I have now had a email from the company as this month is my last instalment for the scheme and you get the option to buy the bike off the company or give it back.

I don't want to buy off the company as I hove no bike to buy but I think the company will want a payment for the bike as I have no bike to hand over to them?

Has anyone been in this situation before or does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks guys.

P.S Felt rule, it was a awsome bike (£1899.99) which I got for £1000 in the sale

Comments

• sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Not sure on the legalities of this, however I seem to recall the bike isn't your's until the transfer.

So did the company have its bike stolen or did you?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • ciaran11
    ciaran11 Posts: 3
    The problem is under the T&C's it says:

Your home contents insurance policy should be checked to see if it covers bicycles. Otherwise insurance should be taken out to ensure a replacement bike would be provided if stolen or damaged. If the bike is not available for your use for whatever reason during the 12-month lease period, your monthly deductions will still continue.

At the time of the the little bugger nicking it I was still paying the monthly payment so in essence the compay owned it.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    As above, sadly it should have been insured according to the ts &cs of the scheme, to cover everyone in exactly this situation. I think you are going to have to pay for it mate, unless your company is leniant.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Cyclescheme just administer the scheme. Insurance isn't part of the scheme, it is up to you to cover that.

When you hire a car the insurance is included, when you "hire" a bike under the cycle scheme it is not.