Let's have a mass debate. Helmets... (again)

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Actually let's not bother, suffice to say that someone who was knocked off his bike and would have been killed - his doctor told him so - has troubled himself to write to the paper asking why helmets aren't compulsory like they are in Australia etc.

www.telegraph.co.uk -> comment -> letters -> scroll half way down. Luckily I can't see the comments from work, but I can hazard a guess.

Back on your heads chaps.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    I've told you before about reading the Telegraph :P :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry - got distracted by the homosexual caveman article :shock:
  • Sorry - got distracted by the homosexual caveman article :shock:

Was he... erm... wearing a helmet? :oops:
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    MassDebate? :shock:
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Can't find it. Link?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I agree with the article, it should be compulsory to wear helmets, anyone not wearing a helmet should not be allowed to ride a bicycle

........ goes to get popcorn
  • WHAT???!!!! FORCED TO WEAR A HELMET???!!!! THAT CANNOT BE OF BENEFIT TO ANYONE!!!!

Goes to join gbsahne at the popcorn counter :D:D:D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ndru wrote:
    Can't find it. Link?

me either
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ndru wrote:
    Can't find it. Link?

me either

Me three :?

While we are waiting for the OP to provide the link, have a read of Boris' column on skiing helmets...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    In Australia, it is illegal to ride a bike or for a child to use a scooter without a helmet. Cyclists have accepted this law. Are Australians more law-abiding than we are?

My favourite lack of logic. Aussies follow a law. We don't have that law. Are they better at following laws? :? :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    No need to make it compulsory, its a form of natural selection, sooner or later the idiots who don't wear them will die out. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    t4tomo wrote:
    No need to make it compulsory, its a form of natural selection, sooner or later the idiots who don't wear them will die out. :D
    They probably won't, seeing as cycling is a safe activity.

Alternatively...
    good trolling :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • If you meant this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/

Can't see it on there either...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    t4tomo wrote:

Skydiving without a parachute is clearly Darwinism, cycling without a helmet is not.

p.s. Helmets have saved me a few times but I still do not advocate compulsory use.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Every cyclist should be subject to an annual running-over. That way everyone with helmets will be fine and everyone without will be punished.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    No activities are risk free. There always is a chance that you can die. Everywhere and anytime. These are the two facts one must accept. Now the thing is - how far are we willing to go to protect ourselves from risks, and how high the risk should be for us to be concerned about it. I think we can all agree that if we were to protect ourselves in every possible way from every possible risk we wouldn't be able to lead normal lives. I don't even think it's possible to eliminate/protect from all risks in our lives. Thus we protect ourselves from the most probable risks causing most severe damage to us/society.
    Now the problem here seems to be the gauging process of the risks and safety measurements. For some reason people think that if something happens in their surrounding, or to themselves it automatically means that is happening everywhere and is a big issue. Because very often fear-mongering and fear itself override logic and statistics people are made to believe that they are much less safer than they really are. This is true not only for bicycle helmets.
    Before one makes up his mind about helmets, I suggest one follows these steps:

1) do not buy into mass histeria, ever, not only when it comes to helmets
    2) look at the statistics, not anectodal evidence. My grandfather died because he suffocated himself under his own pillow - this doesn't mean that pillows should be banned
    3) estimate how high is your risk of head trauma - do you fall very often?
    4) read scientific data about the protection bicycle helmets give you - establish if this is enough for your needs
    5) make your decision and then carry on with your life - don't make other's follow you - their circumstances and conclusions might be different from yours.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    ndru wrote:
    look at the statistics.....read scientific data.

Who does that?

I mean I understand that the internet is populated with geeky types with frig all better to do than quote the sciency bits* for 13 pages until the rest of us lose the will to live, but seriously, who researchs statistics and scientific data before making such a straightforward decision?

You'd never get anything done.

* I miss Always Tyred. Don't you?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    The wearing of a helmet should be compulsory .

and not just for cycling etc... just all the time

True story;

I was leaving work the other day and was locking up as normal ( we have a big gate that I close most evenings) and I dropped my key I bent down to pick up the keys and as I came up I hit my head on the gate with force.
    The good new I was wearing my helmet thus saving me from pain probable death or a least disability. I now wear my helmet all the time and make my three year old wear his too.
    The moral of this story is you can never be too safe; helmet gloves flame proof pants and a condom all on for good measure all the time :wink:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    "It's a car problem. Why ask cyclists to fix it with a Styrofoam hat?" - Yehuda Moon.

http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-07-09
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    iss ver nannee stayt innit
    FCN = 4
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Nik Cube wrote:
    The wearing of a helmet should be compulsory .

and not just for cycling etc... just all the time

True story;

I was leaving work the other day and was locking up as normal ( we have a big gate that I close most evenings) and I dropped my key I bent down to pick up the keys and as I came up I hit my head on the gate with force.
    The good new I was wearing my helmet thus saving me from pain probable death or a least disability. I now wear my helmet all the time and make my three year old wear his too.
    The moral of this story is you can never be too safe; helmet gloves flame proof pants and a condom all on for good measure all the time :wink:

LOL
    My thoughts exactly!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Nik Cube wrote:

Ha ha. I think the 1st 3 will negate the need for the last one, unless its protection against wind chill
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    edited April 2011
    dondare wrote:

I hit a paywall on the first link but found the Guardian article interesting to compare with their latest bike blog article, where Boris appears to have been media-bullied into hiding his bad hair days under a helmet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... nal-choice

EDIT: In a moment of irritation I decided to go to work without a helmet today for the first time in years. I think it's because I keep my hair short that I had absolutely no hairy moments.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Due to the number of people who trip and fall and hurt themselves while walking. I have started to sell bubble wrap suits, if you buy 2 suits you get a free pedestrain helmet.

Elbow pads, stabilisers and hi vis vests are optional extras.

Anybody who doesn't wear one of my suits clearly shouldbn't be allowed to walk.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    colsoop wrote:
    Due to the number of people who trip and fall and hurt themselves while walking. I have started to sell bubble wrap suits, if you buy 2 suits you get a free pedestrain helmet.

Elbow pads, stabilisers and hi vis vests are optional extras.

Anybody who doesn't wear one of my suits clearly shouldbn't be allowed to walk.

How much would these be!? :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    dondare wrote:

Brake sez:
    Joel Hickman, spokesman for the road safety charity Brake, said that Baker was setting a terrible example and the evidence was conclusive that helmets saved lives. "Last year, over 17,000 cyclists were injured on UK roads with over 2,500 killed or seriously injured. The vast majority of these deaths and serious injuries were the result of a head injury. This is precisely why many of our international and European partners have already introduced compulsory helmet wearing," he said.

"Ministers should practise what they preach and when a minister directly responsible for cycling safety refuses to wear a cycle helmet, we then have to look at their suitability for the role."

Which makes it sound like cycling is so dangerous you'd best stay indoors (or perhaps drive instead).

It also says on their website:
    "Road crashes are not road accidents. They are preventable and must be stopped. "

It is unclear how a bicycle helmet can prevent road crashes.

On page 13 of their 'About Us' brochure (http://www.brake.org.uk/assets/docs/about-brake.pdf), it says: "Lynne cycled the length of Britain in memory of her colleague, Kevin, killed in a crash. "Life just seems to whiz by and sometimes I wonder what's it all about? How can we make a difference? This is my contribution to Brake's work."

Lynne is pictured without a helmet!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    dondare wrote:

I rarely agree with politicians of any party but in this case good for him
  • Interesting report on cycle helmets from the Insitute of Transport Economics in Norway
    "According to the new studies, no overall [protective] effect of bicycle helmets could be found when injuries to head, face or neck are considered as a whole."

Could explain why, despite the reported protection offered by helmets, legislation forcing helmet wearing on cyclists has not shown a clear decline in the number of head injuries among cyclists.

Access to full report here...