Alfine Hub?

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Wondered what you guys thought about....

Putting an Alfine 11 speed on an MTB (say my 09 Stumpy)?

Could it be paired wih a 2 or 3 sprocket front end or is 11x1 enough?

Sorry, my tech-capabilities are non-existent so any advice very welcome.

I know that weight COULD be an issue, but without a cassette/rear mech etc I wonder if it could be (to me) 'negligible'?

Thx in advance
BJB

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you wanted 2 or 3 rings on the front you would need a big range tensioner or a rear mech.

which make the idea pointless.

yes you will have the range you need but you will have to work out what size ring and sprocket you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks Nick - any recommendations on front-end single sprocket set-ups?

How many teeth do you think would be appropriate for general trail and XC?

Ta
    BJB
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've been toying with the idea of a alfine/hammerschmit setup on a suitable hardtail like the on-one 456 ti. Probably never happen but I think it would be interesting. 22 gears and no chain movement.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • nicklouse
    oodboo wrote:
    I've been toying with the idea of a alfine/hammerschmit setup on a suitable hardtail like the on-one 456 ti. Probably never happen but I think it would be interesting. 22 gears and no chain movement.

the problem with that will be the drive cog sizes. they dont go big enough.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Thanks Nick - any recommendations on front-end single sprocket set-ups?

How many teeth do you think would be appropriate for general trail and XC?

Ta
    BJB

there are a few ready builds out there. Genesis and Charge I think have some have a look at what they spec.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    oodboo wrote:

You risk destroying the hub if you torque it too much:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=696480
  • nicklouse
    gilesjuk wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

You risk destroying the hub if you torque it too much:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=696480

and if you read a bit further
    ME
    Hi, I have never heard a definitive answer to this question I have been asking for a while. Does the Alfine hub require a minimum chainring size to avoid too much torque ont he hub?
    If so what is it? If I was to buy the new Alfine 11, and run a 26 tooth ring with say the standard 22 tooth sprocket, would this be fine?
    Cheers.

SHIMANO
    Thanks for contacting Shimano.

You can run any size chain ring with an internally geared hub, you will only be changing the overall gearing range.

The Alfine 11 speed hub can be used in conjunction with our CT-S500 chain tensioner, which allows the use of two chainrings.

I hope this is helpful, feel free to contact us again.

ME
    Thanks, that answers my question exactly. I only ask because I currently run a Rohloff, which has very strict limitations on input torque which will void warrantee if exceeded. Could you please tell me what the warrantee on the Alfine is? Cheers.

SHIMANO
    All Shimano bicycle components carry a minimum of two years warranty regarding the quality of workmanship and materials.

Further information pertaining to the use of Alfine hubs-: To make the most of the gearing available it is recommended to set the gearing ratio at 1.9:1, e.g., 34:18, 39:20 or 45:23.

The gearing range can be broadened by the addition of the CT-S500 chain tensioner and a second smaller chain ring of up to a 16 tooth difference, e.g., 44-28 - giving an effective gearing range of up to 642%.

I hope this is helpful, feel free to contact us again.

so you can fit what you want.
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks NIck.

I've been thinking, would this work on a full sus or would there be chain issues?

Thanks again

BJB
  • nicklouse
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Thanks NIck.

I've been thinking, would this work on a full sus or would there be chain issues?

Thanks again

BJB

you would need a suitable tensioner to take up any change in the chain length (chain Grow) unless it is a BB mounted swing arm (Like a Kona A).
  • BigJimmyB
    Mmm, thought so.

Would something like this do the job?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... vns&itbs=1

Sorry for massive link!
  • nicklouse
    you should have read the page.
    These BB-mounted tensioners are designed for hardtail bike frames with ISO/English (MTB) bottom brackets. They will not absorb the chain-pull commonly found on full suspension frames. Please look our ETR/V with full suspension kit if installing on a full suspension (or trials) frame.
  • BigJimmyB
    Sorry NIck, yes I did mean the ETR/V.

Would something like this work?
  • nicklouse
    they say yes so i would say yes. :wink:
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks buddy :)