Carbon Clincher 66mm wheels - Help!

lakeland_trier
lakeland_trier Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Have been on the hunt for CC wheels for quite a while now and was sorted with ordering some from the wheelsmith!

However, last night it came to my attention that a guy in the tri club was selling a pair of Reynolds Strike 66mm CC wheels, less than 200km on them (IM Switz. '09 and 2x 10 mile tt's) as he's concentrating on adventure racing now.

Was just wondering what this depth of rim is like in the wind? Read some online reviews and people didn't think they were a problem but was just wanting opinion on the wheel and / or the handling in the wind?

Many thanks,

Gaz

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends how heavy you are, I have no problem with that depth wheel (I'm 88kg) but if you're a mountain goat you may get blown around a fair bit.

The reynolds wheels are excellent.
  • Hi mate, I'm 75kg so not exactly a mountain goat!!

They do look nice wheels I realise that!
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    I have no problem with that depth wheel (I'm 88kg) but if you're a mountain goat you may get blown around a fair bit.

OK, so now you've knocked Mr 66kg here out of the Reynolds market :wink: let's just put this one across; is it only deep AND LIGHT wheels that suffer from this problem or do heavy, deep wheels suffer too? Or are they actually worse?
  • Anonymous
    It's the depth, not the brand...

The Attacks or assaults will be fine, just be aware that with the 66mm Strikes you may start to get a bit of crosswind wander... It's never bothered me, I have an 88mm rim on the front of my TT bike and I manage fine.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    In fairness Nap, you've only had the wheel about a wheel, no? Maybe it's been windy your way but not exactly a thorough test :wink:
    On saying that I had a disc and a deep front and never had any bother.
  • Anonymous
    I've had a couple of rides, one of which was VERY windy. It was fine.