Bodies in Classics v Tours

2»

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    So what body-type do we file this guy under?

5518188214_7670a295db.jpg

197cm 76kg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bronzie wrote:
    So what body-type do we file this guy under?

5518188214_7670a295db.jpg

197cm 76kg

He's an alright climber isn't he?

He's just a little on the very tall side.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Certainly don't think you could win Tour of Poland without being able to climb reasonably well (didn't he win the race by going on a long solo break on the last hilly stage?).

I certainly think that to do well on the cobbles you need to be above a minimum weight............probably much under 65kg and you just get bounced around too much. Also to ride the stones well you need bags of power which a lighter rider is going to lack a bit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bronzie wrote:
    Certainly don't think you could win Tour of Poland without being able to climb reasonably well (didn't he win the race by going on a long solo break on the last hilly stage?).

I certainly think that to do well on the cobbles you need to be above a minimum weight............probably much under 65kg and you just get bounced around too much. Also to ride the stones well you need bags of power which a lighter rider is going to lack a bit.

Absolutely.

Would it be tright to say the taller skinner riders is always more likely to be better allround than a smaller guy, since they have the power-to-weight, but also have the outright power too...
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

ARGH! Is this some big conspiracy to wind me up?

There wasn't!

Hence the news article quoted!

Not working though is it ;)
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    pb21 wrote:
    Anyone know the total climbing in Roubaix?
    Elevation Gain: 4685 ft (1427m) according to JVS's Garmin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78553901
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • dougzz
    That photo of Wiggo in the Roubaix thread makes him looks as though his body is in the 3rd week of Le Tour.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    dougzz wrote:
    That photo of Wiggo in the Roubaix thread makes him looks as though his body is in the 3rd week of Le Tour.

From -'09. Def early to get like that although that most likely isnt too bad by his normal standards.

wiggins5.jpg

This is from the Tour that year:
    tdf09st22-wiggins.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    Hard to compare the side shot with the front shot but he does look very thin. Maybe he's serious about the climbing thing this year again, going for an 09 revisit.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    dougzz wrote:
    Hard to compare the side shot with the front shot but he does look very thin. Maybe he's serious about the climbing thing this year again, going for an 09 revisit.

He's going to need to, looking at this years parcours!

I was going to ask why Wiggins was trailing off the back by the Arenberg, but looking at his knee I can't blame him.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    dougzz wrote:

He's going to need to, looking at this years parcours!

I was going to ask why Wiggins was trailing off the back by the Arenberg, but looking at his knee I can't blame him.

Didn't he stop to give Thomas a wheel just before Arenberg aswell?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I think dropping loads of body weight and trying to become a GT contender may have effected what could have been a strong pro career in one day races. He seems to have lost power but is never going to be light enough to be a genuine contender in the hills (would like to be proved wrong though).