Chainset/crank arm question

torch1
torch1 Posts: 15
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Right got the missus a new bike, nothing flashy.

It would appear that I didn't tighten one of the pedals well enough (although I was sure I did) because on her second ride out it worked it's way loose until it got to the last 3 threads which then gave way as she was stood up pedalling. As you can imagine, it wasn't pretty and I'm not exactly popular. :oops: :lol:

So the pedal is knackered because the threads are bent and it looks the threads on the crank arm might be too. The crank arm and chainset seem to be a one piece job so will need to be replaced. I think it might be the older square taper design (as apposed to splined). Haven't checked yet though.

Is it a simple case of undoing a hex screw and pulling the chainset off then replacing? Does the bottom bracket need to be removed? If so do I need any special tools?

As far as I can work out with the square taper design any brand will fit as they are all the same size square holes, I just to need ensure that the chainset has the same number of teeth and the crank arms are a similar length? Correct or no?

Any others tips welcome.

Thanks

Comments