Anyone own the 2011 Specialized Epic?????? Chainstay rubbing

Armoredinca
Armoredinca Posts: 80
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2011 Speccy Epic Carbon Comp and have found that my inside heel of my left shoe rubs against the left chainstay and has completely worn away all laquer and paint to the frame.

The paint has worn away the point where the chainstay flares out around the brake caliper.

I have checked my cleat and shoe position and all is aligned correctly but the spacing gives little or no margin for sideways movement and regular heel contact seems unavoidable.

Has anyone else had the same issue???
1nca

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick some helicopter tape around it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • How chuffing big are you feet!

Don't move your cleats in the shoes you'll get ankle knee strain.

Only thing i can suggest is touching up the damage and putting some lizard skins on your chainstays to prevent further chaffing.
    Maybe the bike is just a wrong fit for you, everyones ankles catch occasionally but a 2011 bike with the paint completely worn away on one side! No dissrespect ment but maybe you just ride wonky.
    Peace.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Stick some helicopter tape around it

This. I tend to scuff my chainstays and my seat stays if I don't put tape on them.
  • Helecopter tape or another chainstay protector is the obvious remedy for prevention but I am at a loss as to why I have never had a similar issue on any of my previous bikes and I wonder if other Epic owners have the same issue?

And I dont have clowns feet LOL :wink:
    1nca
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Profile of the stays, it varies. I did it badly on my 2009 S-Works Epic, but less so on previous versions. My Top Fuel doesn't seem quite so bad. Not really a problem IMO, I don't ever feel I'm doing it, just notice afterwards that the paint gets scuffed.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    My 2011 Epic comp alloy is quite tight, I have already managed to put my foot through the front mech. But a set of SPDs and it all has enough clearance for my size 46's. Helicopter tape....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I do this, I don't have freakishly big feet, it's just that I'm comfortable in a stance that puts my heels close to the chainstays. Wrapping them with something to protect them is the only option.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."