Smart Lunar 35 Lux

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Need a light for town and shopping, spotted Lunar 35 Lux not bad at £23. Any good? Want quick release light, got a Hope Vision but takes a minute to remove, pain when I'm out shopping, fit/remove, fit/remove etc

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165636
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Yep - very bright and a nice sleek profile. Recommend.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited April 2011
    leedsmjh wrote:
    Yep - very bright and a nice sleek profile. Recommend.

+1 super light for being seen by, The HV leaves it literally in the shade as a to see by light though. The Lunar weighs a lot less and is nowhere near as cumbersome in the pocket as the HV.

if you can get the pack with the 1/2 watt rear then you'll have all the light you'll ever need for the riding you describe.

excellent battery life from 2 x AA's too (unlike the HV)

Mine has switched itself off on a couple of occasions on a really bumpy road/trail but the mount is excellent on all surfaces, unobtrusive on the bars & very quick and easy to click off and securely back on, you'll have no cateye tissue paper mount issues & picking the bits of your light off the road
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    For me the Exposure flash flare light set are absolutely brilliant. Very bright, on and off in seconds and fit in the pocket no bother. Great for around town or the commute and even on a long ride. Honestly can't find fault with them. Oh yes I can, so far I have been unable to find the re-charger battery set, although the disposables have lasted really well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-flashf ... batteries/
  • For me the Exposure flash flare light set are absolutely brilliant. Very bright, on and off in seconds and fit in the pocket no bother. Great for around town or the commute and even on a long ride. Honestly can't find fault with them. Oh yes I can, so far I have been unable to find the re-charger battery set, although the disposables have lasted really well.

GBCycles in Croydon had the recharger set for the Exposure lights when I was in there a month or so back.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    For me the Exposure flash flare light set are absolutely brilliant. Very bright, on and off in seconds and fit in the pocket no bother. Great for around town or the commute and even on a long ride. Honestly can't find fault with them. Oh yes I can, so far I have been unable to find the re-charger battery set, although the disposables have lasted really well.

GBCycles in Croydon had the recharger set for the Exposure lights when I was in there a month or so back.

Thanks for that. Will give them a call. The disposable have lasted really well on flash mode, but I would much prefer the re-chargeables. Apart from the savings, they are supposed to be even brighter on the re-chargeables. Which would make them an even more impressive little light set.
  • Thanks for that. Will give them a call. The disposable have lasted really well on flash mode, but I would much prefer the re-chargeables. Apart from the savings, they are supposed to be even brighter on the re-chargeables. Which would make them an even more impressive little light set.
    GBCycles was the first (only) place I had seen these Exposure lights on display and set up to try. I was impressed with these light's and they are tiny, but couldn't really justify the outlay (particularly as I would need spare rechargeables). My wife thinks I am obsessed with lights. She may have a point.

GBCyles also said that the rechargeable version of the batteries is supposed to make them brighter - I presume the Li-ion CR123A is a (slightly) higher voltage than the disposable.

On topic: I have the Lux 35. I (generally) like Smart lights. I found the Lux 35 almost bright enough for dark road riding but its beam is a little narrow (swings and roundabouts - it would be weaker if wider). It is great for being seen, though. However, as with SBIB, I did find mine would switch off after certain bumps. It seemed worse when the battery was part-used. I switched battery chambers (the Smart front lights tend to have interchangeable sections) to no avail. As it is a front light, I tended to be able to keep an eye on it. Not a problem I've had with any other front Smart light :? (unlike my superflash Mk1 rear light - on which you press the case, as opposed to the more recent one with a proper button - which would randomly choose flash/solid/off as I cycled :roll: )
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Planet X were selling these for £15 a couple of weeks ago. Check before buying.

a serious case of small cogs
  • toontra wrote:
    Planet X were selling these for £15 a couple of weeks ago. Check before buying.
    Yep, still appear to be there.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a version of that light - same case design, not sure of the model. Very disappointing. Light was bright when it was on but that was random. It keeps switching itself off and is not very waterproof. I tried bringing out the contacts a bit but that never lasted. Generally, I like Smart lights and tolerate their erratic performance for the price and brightness of light but this one is simply useless - it switches off so much it is dangerous. The smaller Smart front lights have been fine for me.

I may try it with the battery case bit taped on with insulation tape. That said, I've got a Cree from Lidl and two RSP Asteris as well as a pair of Smart Polaris fronts so there isn't much incentive to meddle with the dodgy Smart.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I have a version of that light - same case design, not sure of the model
    Grey or black (or white) casing?
    Does it have a swirly motif on the casing (matt on gloss for black, silver on the white)?
    Does it have a silver band/belt between the head part of the unit and the battery compartment?