Question for science boffins

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
BBC News wrote:
Tevatron accelerator yields hints of new particle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13000253

So in the whole scheme of things, what does it mean for us Joe Blows?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kelsen wrote:
    BBC News wrote:

Nothing in the short term, no idea in the medium-long term. Looking forward to finding out.

Happened to see an episode of the West Wing a couple of days ago that had the exact question
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0745606/quotes
    [while discussing the importance of funding the superconducting supercollider - a controversial scientific project that would cost billions]
    Sen. Jack Enlow, D-IL: If we can only say what benefit this thing has. No one's been able to do that.
    Dr. Dalton Millgate: That's because great achievement has no road map. The X-Ray is pretty good, and so is penicillin, and neither were discovered with a practical objective in mind. I mean, when the electron was discovered in 1897, it was useless. And now we have an entire world run by electronics. Hayden and Mozart never studied the classics. They couldn't. They invented them.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I believe that LASERs were also a pointless discovery that now permeate every aspect of life.

We, should if all goes well get some kind of improved kitchen device out of the work.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Higgity, higgity
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Higgity, higgity

Bosonny, bosonny.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the short and probably medium turns it will mean nothing, what it MAY mean in the much longer term is an improvement in our knowledge of sub atomic particle relationships with potential to improve 'atomic' power generation (Fusion/fission or something totally new) but probably it will be meaningless in any normal usage of the word for 40 years.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    [pedant] Haydn without the E [/pedant]

@JG & UE
    If proved, it will be a completely new, unanticipated particle; researchers say it cannot be the much sought-after Higgs boson.

Reading the article, it might be nothing, or our current theories may need major revision. The quoted scientist seems to think the former is more likely, but there is more analysis to do.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited April 2011
    QuarkDS9.jpg

@JG & UE Do be quiet. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Eventually it will mean this

cameron-terminator.jpg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    rjsterry wrote:
    [pedant] Haydn without the E [/pedant]

@JG & UE
    If proved, it will be a completely new, unanticipated particle; researchers say it cannot be the much sought-after Higgs boson.

Reading the article, it might be nothing, or our current theories may need major revision. The quoted scientist seems to think the former is more likely, but there is more analysis to do.
    Yeah, I read the article and saw it wasn't about Higgs but went for the pun anyway. New particles are exciting.... kinda.

If the data doesn't fit the model then the model has to be revisited, despite the successful predictions it has made. Such is the course of science. Let's see what the LHC comes up with.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    Assuming this is indeed a new particle, did it exist before they measured it?

I seem to remember reading something about that a while ago. Something in the back of my brain thinks it may have something to do with a cat.
    --
    Chris

• jonginge
    Yes, no, maybe. Quantum fluctuations innit. QED
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What it means is that we've taken a step further into - no matter how miniscule - learning more about particle physics.

In the long term we could learn that all the main stream hypothesis is correct, which would be boring. Or we could learn that there is a whole level of advance physics we are yet to grasp and theorise.

Personally, I think all this exploration into particles and the dispersal of energy will lead to identifying ways we can better manipulate energy i.e. self-sustainable fussion/fission technology (which isn't atomic). But meh, that's just me.

Imagine vehicles that are powered by small haydron colliders that use the energy byproduct of smashing particles....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Imagine vehicles that are powered by small haydron colliders that use the energy byproduct of smashing particles....

Silly Particle Racing?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That wouldn't work, where would the energy to accelerate the atoms to collision speed come from? You're not going to suggest it could power itself are you?

I can imagine Robots that can think for themselves and self replicate. That would be bad. I've seen blade runner and terminator!
    --
    Chris

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What, perpetual motion machines? :wink:
  • jonginge
    Sketchley wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That wouldn't work, where would the energy to accelerate the atoms to collision speed come from? You're not going to suggest it could power itself are you?

I can imagine Robots that can think for themselves and self replicate. That would be bad. I've seen blade runner and terminator!
    No, no, no, you feed it orange peel and suchlike. Have you not seen Back to the Future?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    I can remember a bit of one of my A-level physics or maths lessons about fitting a curve (i.e. an equation modelling that data) to a set of data: there was a very good point about how very different curves can look locally identical and it's only when you 'zoom out' that you realise that what looked like a good match is actually way off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    40-mr_fusion.jpg
    --
    Chris

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,636
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And then imagine them with Addison Lee stickers on the back
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Another grant for the bl**dy theoretical physicists :evil:
  • Kieran_Burns
    So was ny joke crap or did no one get it? :cry:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonginge
    Strangely, i thought it wasn't top notch, scraping the bottom of the barrel to be honest. You need to up your game or you'll be sent down to the ryman comedy league. That ferengi truly was a charming fellow.*

* Strewth, that was hard work on this sunny day
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    JonGinge wrote:
    Strangely, i thought it wasn't top notch, scraping the bottom of the barrel to be honest. You need to up your game or you'll be sent down to the ryman comedy league. That ferengi truly was a charming fellow.*

Ah. So it was crap.

Thank God.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Ah. So it was crap.

Thank God.
    Perhaps, but better than the contrived verbiage you made me write :P A picture is worth a thousand words etc
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Ah. So it was crap.

Thank God.
    Perhaps, but better than the contrived verbiage you made me write :P A picture is worth a thousand words etc

So true...

dre0636l.jpg
  • pangolin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And then imagine them with Addison Lee stickers on the back

:lol:
    Commuter Clunker FCN 9/10
    Weekend Whippet FCN 3
    Resigned Boris Biker
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    rjsterry wrote:
    I can remember a bit of one of my A-level physics or maths lessons about fitting a curve (i.e. an equation modelling that data) to a set of data: there was a very good point about how very different curves can look locally identical and it's only when you 'zoom out' that you realise that what looked like a good match is actually way off.

This is pretty much exactly how physics has developed as a science. People look at the extremes (very fast, very small, very high energies) because those are the areas where the current theory doesn't quite fit.

Newton's laws work fine until you get to very high speeds. General relativity works until you start trying to look at elementary particles, etc.

The LHC smashes stuff together at energies that have never before been reliably observable, because it's only at those energies that it starts to become obvious what we got right and what we got wrong.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    kelsen wrote:
    BBC News wrote:

Several applications:

Used to make the lighter-than-air alloy "Arborium".

A lubricant for frictionless bearings and bicycle chains.

Added to LEDs produces a positive thrust known as "photon drive". (This is only an advantage when used in rear lights.)
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What it means is that we've taken a step further into - no matter how miniscule - learning more about particle physics.

In the long term we could learn that all the main stream hypothesis is correct, which would be boring. Or we could learn that there is a whole level of advance physics we are yet to grasp and theorise.

Personally, I think all this exploration into particles and the dispersal of energy will lead to identifying ways we can better manipulate energy i.e. self-sustainable fussion/fission technology (which isn't atomic). But meh, that's just me.

Sub-atomic particle physicists are all insane. Except for Brian Cox and that's because he does an equal amount of astro-physics which balances it out.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    dondare wrote:
    Added to LEDs produces a positive thrust known as "photon drive". (This is only an advantage when used in rear lights.)

MpXM4.jpg

Colour needs work, though.