Dahon vs Brompton?

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Don't have to take it on the train/tube, and it's only a few miles on various city roads, some with lots of traffic. Just want to be able to bring it to the office and make sure it doesn't take space at home.

Yes, folded Brompton is a bit smaller, but then who might resist the price of Dahon Speed D7? Anything genuinely wrong with it? Weight? Size? Build quality?

Thanks.

PS Apologies if i missed a post where this obvious topis was discussed...

Comments

• Ive got a Brompton so I'm a bit biased but for me the fold is key... I get on public transport every day and the size of the folded Brompton is truly incredible. At home and work it easily fits under the desk without causing any obsructions.

I haven't ridden a Dahon but my understanding is the build quality and durability of Bromptons is a bit better. I'm only speaking from what I have read whilst researching before purchasing. You do get people from both camps that are passionate about the make of bike they ride. The Brompton camp seem a little more passionate.

Does this justify the extra cost?

I guess that is a personal decision... for me it was primarily the fold size and also the way it folds that made me choose the Brompton... With a Brompton the chain is inside the folded package, with a Dahon its on the outside meaning on our local metro trains I would have needed to put the Dahon in a bag.

I have been really pleased with my decision and use the bike almost every day. This week I've ridden to work on 4 days covering 64 miles so its a very capable machine.

If you want to spend less though I think Dahon are a respectable folding bike brand which shouldn't disapoint you... especially if the fold size isn't as important for you as cost
  • Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    I haven't tried the Dahon Speed D7, but I do own a Dahon Mu Uno and we have the use of Bromptons at work.

First off, I prefer bigger wheels, so the 20" of the Dahons mentioned above provide a better ride in my opinion, less issues with potholes, kerbs etc.. more stable at speed. Having said that, I know Bromptoneers who are more than capable of whipping me on the road with their speed and maneuvrability! So I'm assuming it is something that any competent (and persiverant) cyclist could learn to live with. The Brompton (IMO) also seemed a bit more flexible, not as rigid as my Dahon (but this could be a function of the frame material, see later on in this post).

Secondly, the fold is much smaller, and probably eventually quicker with the Brompton. It isn't as obvious and simplistic as the Dahon, but again I believe once mastered it is quicker.

The build quality of both brands seems very good. I think I'd go as far to say that my Mu is better finished than the Bromptons I've seen. Certainly the welding is neater, and the bolts, hinges and paintwork etc are better finished. However, this could well be due to the simpler design (Bromptons have some very clever engineering solutions to give them their small fold) and the fact that the Dahon is Al whereas (most) Bromptons are steel. Probably comparing apples and oranges with this point anyway, both will still be in good nick after a few years!

Finally, the kudos of owning a Brompton is far better than that of a Dahon! Own a Brompton and you seem to join a club, it's a big status symbol and a well respected brand. This also meas that depreciation is likely to be far less of an issue. Get a Brompton and flog it on in a few years time and you'll lose a lot less than if you do the same with any other folder. The downside to this is they are infintitely more attractive/stealable (particularly given their incomparably portable nature). So if you plump for a brompton, get a good lock or don't let it out of your sight.
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    Guys, many thanks, appreciate your time to write down your thoughts.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I ride a Birdy so no axe to grind either way. Dahon have come on as a brand and are a deserved big noise in the folder market now. You know with a Brompton you'll get superb reliability and the best that British inventiveness and engineering does. but whenever I've riden them I've always been disapointed by the ride and always felt percehed on top of it rather that properly a part of it. I've not ridden Dahon for a while or very far but it immediately felt more bike like under me and I felt happier on it.

Bromptons live on their well deserved reputation for multi modal transport where their compact fold makes them a no brainer, but as a ride first - fold second option they are a poorer choice. That you see so many of them is longevity in the market & probably much the same argument as EKE makes elsewhere re: shops 'selling' hybrids to punters. If you go and ask for a folder you'll more than likely be pointed to the Bromptons as a matter of routine.

As a riding bike I'd be loathe to get a Brompton but still have pangs of regret that I bought a Birdy (superb riding folder but loony money) when the car boot is half full and I fancy taking a bike with me.

That said I got my scalp handed back to me at the finish of the Manchester to Blackpool a few years back by a hardcore Bromptonite.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    My understanding is that Bromptons have many non-standard components, so if you like to service/repair stuff yourself, it's probably not the best choice. If you prefer to drop your bike off at the LBS for service, then Bromptons have excellent dealer support.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    snailracer wrote:
    My understanding is that Bromptons have many non-standard components, so if you like to service/repair stuff yourself, it's probably not the best choice. If you prefer to drop your bike off at the LBS for service, then Bromptons have excellent dealer support.

I used to ride a Brompton for 2 years and I'm not sure I'd agree there's that many non-standard components. Agree that wheels/tyres & frame are non-standard , but provided you have a a couple of spare tubes, you can fix anything on a Brompton that you can on a non-folder.

I must admit I wouldn't fiddle with the insides of the hub-gear, but in 2 years I didn't have to. The same dealers that give good dealer support mostly carry a good range of spares including Evans in & around London. And of course you can take your folded bike on the tube/bus en route to LBS if needed.

I would say that as long as you have a LBS near work that sells/fixes/stocks spares for your chosen brand, then you should be OK.

Mike