Wheel truing?

sponsoryu
sponsoryu Posts: 66
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
How effective is wheel truing?

I have a wheel, and I can't really scale how buckled it is, as I'm unaware what a severe buckle is.

But, it's enough for it to hit the frame - but the tyre is huge.

How effective is wheel truing?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    100%

but you are asking an odd question.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sponsoryu
    sponsoryu Posts: 66
    nicklouse wrote:
    100%

but you are asking an odd question.
    Wheel truing can get out any buckle?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes no maybe.

take it to a wheel builder they will tell you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Depends how bad the buckle is. If it is more than a few cm, probably not.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • wheel tune doesnt fix most major issues, i have two wheels which are untrue and when i went to get them looked at the guy said he can try, which he did (evans) bike came back, said nothin more he can do, wheels still untrue.

tbh if it only s slight untrue then it fixable anything that more than a couple of degree moverment i dont think many can fix...or if they can i went to the wrong place :wink:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    It also depends on the rim. I normally work with FR rims, they can take higher tension, so you have more room to play with. weaker rims, not so much.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?