rear derailleur

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
just had my gears indexed and they are still sticky,went back to the shop and the woman who indexed them had another pop at them today and has now said my mech is gubbed due to to many bumps,havnt realy had many falls of great note but would this go pete tong with the slightest of knocks or is it just a ploy for some dosh for new one.shim slx.£60.not cheap.she said it had been banged about abit and was bent at the hanger and some other bits.could i put on a deore instead of slx as its abit cheaper plus its deore shifters.cheers
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firstly try some punctuation etc makes it much easier to read.
    Secondly learn to index them yourself - it's easy and needs to be done often enough to make it silly to take them into a shop - it's routine maintenance.
    Thirdly - if the mech hanger is bent change it first, and make sure the cables are clean, or replace them.

If the mech is bent it should be noticeable, but they can take a quite a knock without problems. That's what the hanger is for.

Only if all of that doesn't work replace the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    You should be able to find a mech for a lot less than that on Ebay or CRC.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • hainman
    cheers cooldad.ive seen some differant ones and they're cheaper than the lbs but i will try to give the indexing a go.is the mech hanger a universal on or is it specific to bike or mech??i noticed the bolt the attached the hanger to the frame was slack and when i tried to tighten it it went tight then slack so it might be where the problem lie's.will see how it looks tomorrow.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    Mech hangers are specific to the bike, but one hanger may be used by lots of bikes, and some hangers are unique.
    The bikes website, or BETD
    Big link

Be careful, lots look similar but it has to be the right one.

For indexing and other tech stuff- very useful, find a Nicklouse post (plenty of those) and follow the Parktools link in his sig.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • hainman
    will need to look into this as my bike manufacturer isnt listed.its a genesis core20
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    Could be this. Phone them, they are really helpful.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 151c003217
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The hanger on a Core should look like this from memory.

32521.jpg
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't work from memory. Loads look similar but are subtly different.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mister p
    OK let me rephrase that for you...

The hanger on a Core looks like that. It is a Wheels Manufacturing hanger 25 or the part number for the Genesis version is 995330, available through all good Genesis dealers.

I do work from memory, I have a very good memory for bike parts. It is what I am paid to do.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    He works for the importer, so it's not unlikely that he's right!

That looks a lot like a Spesh hanger G (IIRC, could be a Trek, one we used to sell lots of!)
  • mister p
    That one fits loads of stuff Nick. It is our number one selling hanger by a good way.
  • hainman
    mister p that looks like the chappy but round the wrong way i think.the lipped top bit goes on the bike frame i think??but i could be wrong
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    hainman wrote:
    mister p that looks like the chappy but round the wrong way i think.the lipped top bit goes on the bike frame i think??but i could be wrong

Its a mirror image of the way it should sit on the bike, the lipped bit is for the tension screw on the rear mech.
  • cooldad
    OK no offence meant. sure it's the same one on my Kona too.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools