Bike computer for narrow fork clearance

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I have bought a steel framed road bike and can't get the sensor for an, admittedly cheap and crap, computer on to the fork without it catching the spokes. And that's without the magnet thing attached to the spoke.

I don't want to splash out on a GPS computer that costs more than the bike.

Anybody know of anything that might fit? I reckon there's about 7mm clearance.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I have bought a steel framed road bike and can't get the sensor for an, admittedly cheap and crap, computer on to the fork without it catching the spokes. And that's without the magnet thing attached to the spoke.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the problem. The only clearance you need between the forks and the spokes (not counting the magnet!) is the thickness of the cable ties you mount the sensor with. On my MTB, the sensor is pointed well in towards the wheel as there is loads of clearance for the suspension fork, on my steel tourer, the sensor faces forward with only a slight inward angle.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Ah - I see what you mean. I thought the sensor had to face inwards so as to be as close as possible to the magnet. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the problem. The only clearance you need between the forks and the spokes (not counting the magnet!) is the thickness of the cable ties you mount the sensor with. On my MTB, the sensor is pointed well in towards the wheel as there is loads of clearance for the suspension fork, on my steel tourer, the sensor faces forward with only a slight inward angle.

I'm with Rolf. The clearance between spokes and forks shouldn't be a factor (within limits).
    A picture paints a thousand words, so if you could post a picture I'm pretty sure someone on here could help.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Ah - I see what you mean. I thought the sensor had to face inwards so as to be as close as possible to the magnet. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Yeah, as the others say it doesn't have to face inwards, it just has to be within 5mm of the magnet, i've got one that faces towards the back, not had any problems with it.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've got to learn to type faster and/or write less!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!