Slipping Chain

iljs
iljs Posts: 78
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have just replaced my chain and shifters. I went on my bike today and it seems the chain keeps slipping or jumping through the rear derailleur. Im not sure if it is how i have set up my gears after replacing the cable or the new chain. I bought an 8Spd SRAM chain for an 8 Spd shimano alivo group set. I also measured it against the old chain before fitting and it is only 1 link shorter than the old one.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Tim

Comments

• 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Cassette? A common enough problem. The cassette may have worn to your old chain so the new chain will slip. Has happened me. A new cassette may very well fix the issue. Many people recommend replacing both together to avoid the problem. Others recommend rotating up to 3 different chains to extend the life of a cassette.

• Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    I do agree with the cassette and if you're replacing the chain it'as usually best to check to see if the chainrings or cassette and jockey wheels need changing as well. I use two chains and swap alterntly between them to extend the life of my groupset and so far with the amount of cleaning i do it looks practically new, with very little wear visible. Also might be worth checking how far away the top jockey wheel is from the cassette. There should be a little screw you can adjust to move it closer or further away from the cassette, this might make the chain tension a little better.
  • iljs
    Thanks for the replies,
    I have got my new cassette installed and all seemed fine until my second ride. The chain is still slipping but only when i am powering up steep hills. When I stopped to checked I found the chain had gone onto the small chainring at the front when it should have been on the middle one. The Jockey wheels seem a bit worn.
    Any suggestions would be great,

Thanks in advance
  • Worn front chainrings?
  • iljs
    The slipping feels like it is coming from the back, but cant be shore