steel frame . Canti brakes

mapman2
mapman2 Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Looking to get a steel framed commuter with Canti brakes for extra stopping power . There are disc brake options(genisis criox de Fer ) ,but a reckon this is a little OTT ,and heavy. Needs to be something that will take m guards . Any ideas

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a disc frame and discs is no heavier than the equivalent Canti/V frame set up.

and you dont wear your rims out and you can stop consistently with discs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    canti's? power? :lol:

get disks man!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    mapman2 wrote:
    Looking to get a steel framed commuter with Canti brakes for extra stopping power

Wanting a steel frame I can understand, they're fun, tough and responsive. As for canti's though, they are good for not getting clogged with mud but produce headaches galore as they need adjusting so much to keep them efficient.

I think you'd be better off asking what sort of bike you should be getting, a cross bike is good for the commute but if I wanted a steel crosser i'd get the croix de fer and wave goodbye to the canti's with no regrets.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • mapman2
    mapman2 Posts: 5
    Cheers boys ,so you reckon no great weight disadvantage with discs ,but much greater stopping power ? Does anyone ride a croix de fer ? i am particularly interested in a comfy ride for my 15 mile commute on country lanes Cheers
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Without even knowing how much you weigh just think how light a couple of brake discs or even the whole bike is compared to you. People can only tell you whether they're comfy on the bike, not whether you will be, a test ride can tell you so much more if you have a convenient LBS, don't worry about paying more, most places will price match for you and there's no obligation to buy if they don't anyway.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    The Avid BB7 Road Caliper is listed as 329g each
    Tektro Oryx Cantis 152g for the pair (front and back)

A Disc may be overkill on the back, but on the front the difference is noticeable. Took me a while to get used to not needing to pull the brakes on so hard, was lifting the back marginally with commuting weighted panniers on.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Surly bikes are steel: the cross check, troll and long haul trucker can all fit canti (or v brakes) and be built up how you like
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Someone really needs to get on with developing lighter road discs. BB5s are absolute tanks. My Avid Elixirs (which are not light brakes by any means) are apparently 395g for caliper, hose, fluid and lever, which is only 70g more than the weight quoted above for the BB5 caliper.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I d recomend a PX Kaffenbach. you can even get a disc mount front fork and run cantis on rear. I run mine with Avid Ultimate canti's front and back and its like hitting a brick wall.
    Admitedly these are bloody expensive (Brakes). Avid brakes run best with SRAM levers.
    Shimano Sti's and obviously their 550 cantis or Frog leggs with the new TRP linear adjust pads arent bad. I also tour on my bike which at 14 stone plus gear requires some stopping power.

My choice Kaffenbach steel frame. Avid shorty ultimate brakes. or Avid BB7 front disc

(Disc specific fork currently out off stock with PX)