Bearings

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I've had a rattle coming from my bike for about a week that I couldn't fix, eventually traced the rattle to a broken expander plug floating around inside the fork steerer!

Anyhow, while I was replacing it with a star-fangled nut (must be the crudest part of a bike but it does what it says on the tin (although not for carbon steerers!)) I noticed that the top bearing race was almost seized. I've lubed it and it's started moving enough for me to use the bike tomorrow, but I need replacement bearings. The steerer is 1 1/8" but what else do I need to know in my hunt for replacement races?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've had a rattle coming from my bike for about a week that I couldn't fix, eventually traced the rattle to a broken expander plug floating around inside the fork steerer!

Anyhow, while I was replacing it with a star-fangled nut (must be the crudest part of a bike but it does what it says on the tin (although not for carbon steerers!)) I noticed that the top bearing race was almost seized. I've lubed it and it's started moving enough for me to use the bike tomorrow, but I need replacement bearings. The steerer is 1 1/8" but what else do I need to know in my hunt for replacement races?

Yeh that bikes trashed now, you'd better send it to me :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just buy and have fitted a decent cheapish cartridge headset, fsa orbit ii etc. Last ages and much easier to live with