Titanium or stainless bolts?

GeorgeShaw
GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I broke a stem bolt last night and, as a few of my bolts (handlebar, cage, seatpost clamp) are going a bit rusty, I've thought about replacing all of them with Ti or stainless bolts.

Anybody with any opinions and experiences and, if the choice is Ti, where to source them at a reasonable price?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ti is soft and if you do them too tightly you can easily thread them. stick with stainless.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Stainless is brittle and not recommended for stressed applications (e.g. brake bolts). Titanium is more ductile, weighs less but costs a lot more.

Look up "tasty nuts" or pro bolt.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    As is often the case, there are many different variants of 'stainless' steel. If you go to a machine spares supplier (e.g. GR Fasteners, to pick my local one) then they will be able to supply you with what you need (and chances are it will cost next to nothing).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Ti bolts from Pro Bolt will cost about £3.80 each.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Rusty bolts really wind me up. Anyone got a recommendations for reasonably priced titanium bolts or a decent grade of steel that won't rust.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Anybody with any experience of these?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Just but stainless ones from http://www.stagonset.co.uk/.

These are bolts for a stem for gods sake if stainless is not strong enough you tightening it far too much! Anyone that buys a bolt for a fiver has far money than sense.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    a smidge of acf-50 on the bolts every few months keeps rust away
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the grade of material - there are unsuitable ti and stainless bolts - some grades of stainless will also rust. Likewise, commercially pure ti is like cheese. I buy mine from Stagonset and never had a problem with corrosion or breaking.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..